Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a pic but I will describe what I have knoticed in my tank yesterday. I know that one of my kenyii is for sure a female but the other in my tank is larger then it and a little yellow looking. It was very aggressive to all the other fish and i knoticed that in the abdominal area, around the anal region a protrusion of some sort. In the past, I have seen it in females just before they were ready to drop their eggs. So my question is, is this a female? Do female kenyiis become very aggressive in nature before dropping their eggs? and will a female drop her eggs with no other male kenyiis are present in the tank?

Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Females can drop eggs in the absence of males. Dominant females can also turn yellowish.

Can't guarantee that this fish is a female though, and not somehow sick. Picture would of course help.

·
Registered
365 Posts

ok so, this is one of my female kenyi she is holding and notice that she have that small bump in the anal area that you are talkin about, she just layed her eggs, she was the biggest in the tank at that time and pretty dominant. Whenever she is about to hold, or holding she turns almost yellow, female kenyis are agressive, but it is nothing compared to a male lol! I had a female once, in my other tank holding unfertilized eggs, it happens also... i maybe got some other pictures that could help you -->

dominant male

this is a subdominant male, on the right, trying really hard to get a female :p... that female stays sharp blue even when holding... it depends on the fish I suppose!
hope this help you!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
All the kenyi I've seen are more golden/yellow (vs the lemon yellow in the 2nd pic).
As well, you can always still see striping/bars - which I don't see.

I've never seen a female kenyi turn yellow. I've seen males turn from blue to yellow really late though.

But that top pic, sure as heck looks like a holding mbuna.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics, the top one looks exactly the color of the one I have in my tank, and as you said I figured out that mine too was a female, and was dropping her eggs in the tank, but man was she mean when she was ready to let em go.

The female in my tank by the way has always been a little larger , and a paler color, not really blue and not really yellow, kind of in between.

Thankfully, it is a female, if it were a male, with a worse demeanor than her than that could make for a very volatile situation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the male kenyi in the second pic is very dominant, he had the srtipes when he was young he lost them gradually... and yup the first picture is my female holding, she turns that color when holding but she is usually blue with a yellow, beige belly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts