Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
added 6 fish recently to my already 6 fish colony. got em for free. but it seems they are being punked to the upper portions of the tank. is there a good way to give em some shells so they dont die? id be happy to remove the two large males for a day or something to at least give em some kind of territory. rearrange the shell bed? maybe add more? im open to suggestions (they own half of a 55g) so plenty of space.

·
Registered
108 Posts
when i did multis i always had 5 shells for every adult, this will allow for the parents to get along and the fry protection when they get kicked from the parents. Multies are pretty good, i think if you throw some more shells the new ones will settle in fine. Good thing with multies as well is i've seen generations protect each other and they truly are not that demanding once they settle.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I always portion off (with rock) a separate shell bed for the "outcasts". When I get a small colony going, I start a new tank or sell them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*** got maybe a hundred shells in there for em. so theres plenty. i may add more, they are just simply new additions and the shell bed is already "claimed" i guess u could say. anyways *** tried blacking out the tank for the remainder of the day. hopefully they find a place to hang.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope. im stuck. please lend a hand if anyone has some knowledge. im thinking i may need to remove the established fish for a day or two now. idk what else to do. any thoughts?!?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Go with your other suggestion, rearrange the shell bed this will help them sort their differences and reestablish territories. I wouldn't take them out just yet, let everyone ride the storm unless you see severe beatings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
whos giving the beat downs? is it the big males? Is it females? If it is big males take them out for awhile. You could also try a clear divider so the other established fish can see new fish but cant trash them. Then when things settle take divider out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Only thing I could suggest is removing all the fish, all the shells, flatten out the substrate, place a few rocks in, add shells , add fish , let them settle out there new territories and "pecking order", just my two cents.
Cheers, Sean :fish:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks sean. thats basically what i did. i went out and added more to the tank and moved the rock so there is at least 3-4 isolated areas for shells. its nuts how many r in there. gonna be multie paradise..

·
Registered
94 Posts
put a piece of flower pot in the tang with an egg crate on top of it the gather all the shells and place them on top of the egg crate all the fish will come down to the sand and leave them like that for a few days and then re-arrange the shells. the dominant group will get displaced and all of them will try to re-establish later on.

This is also a good way to catch all the fish with out taking the shells with them.

Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts