Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I was wondering about this as well. As far as I can tell, Pseudotropheus sp. Williamsi 'Makonde North' and Pseudotropheus sp. Williamsi 'Orange' both refer to Pseudotropheus williamsi which are found in the northern region of the lake between Makonde and Nkhata bay. If there isn't a collection point attached to the fish, then it becomes hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've not come across Ps. sp. 'williamsi orange' in any books or subscriptions available to me.

Only:
sp. 'williamsi makanjila'
sp. 'williamsi maleri'
sp. 'williamsi nkhudzi'
sp. 'williamsi north'

But obviously these things are always in flux. My hunch is that someone decided 'orange' is better marketing than 'north.'

A neat fish either way!

kevin

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Profile here:

Site Sponsor Stock photo:

The ones from the sponsor are labeled as Makonde as the collection point. The photo in the profile here is titled "Male from Lupingo". They are both listed as "williamsi North"

I think they are both interesting fish. I haven't really seen them commonly in the hobby, but they say that popularity goes in cycles. I've heard that fish that are rare today or new were once popular and common in the past. Some that are rare in some parts of the country/world maybe be popular and common elsewhere. So its all relative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts