Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a black cichlid sand that buffers the PH up higher? i havent been able to find any but nuetral sands

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
The ability of a substrate to buffer pH is overrated. I would not make a substrate decision based on this.

Evidence? Five years with aragonite substrate. Started at pH=7.8. Remain at pH=7.8.

triscuit is a "water professional" and has advised me and other members on this topic. Basically rocks/sand cannot dissolve fast enough to make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Quick answer to the original question, if anything in a substrate has the ability to buffer the pH at a higher value, it would be limestone. Limestone is white. If you cover it with something to make it look black, it will no longer have buffering capabilities. Ergo, there is no black cichlid sand that buffers the PH up higher.

That said, I like MonkTong's suggestions, and I fully agree with DJRansome that the ability of a substrate to affect pH is overrated. However, the evidence given is not very convincing. Buffering pH means keeping it stable. If you had a tank for five years with aragonite substrate, it started at pH=7.8 and remained at pH=7.8, that could indicate that the substrate buffered the tank perfectly at pH 7.8 :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts