Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

Picked up a home gym from from a guy on Craigslist (free), when I got there he points to a 75 gallon aquarium and says do you want that too. I say sure....

So I'm now in the planning stages of setting this thing up (building the stand now). I'm planning on setting up a Cichlid tank, but I've never done this before. I keep seeing you need filter with a flow rate of 5 x the size of the aquarium, so 375 gph. The Fluval 405 comes close at 330 GPH, and then I saw this FX5 at 925 gph. So I know that's overdoing it a bit, but I've also been told to get a bigger filter than what you need. I mean is this thing going to create whirlpool affect sucking all my little fishies to the bottom of the tank (just kidding)? Is the flow rate adjustable to a point, I can't really find any info on whether you can adjust the flow rate on these things? Is it just too big for my needs?

Anyway, your help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Nope not too big.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Heh.

If you're BUYING it, you don't need the FX5 on it.

I use a 305 on a 75 (only filled to 70 gallons) with a LARGE bioload and it does just fine.
I've been tempted to put my 404 on it, but if it ain't broke...

I use an FX5 on a 125 and it's doing great.

& no, there's no flow rate adjustment on any of the Fluval 04/05 or FX series.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Glaneon
no, there's no flow rate adjustment on any of the Fluval 04/05

theres a flow rate adjustment oh my fluval 305 canister filter

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wait, you know what, you're right... that lever does act as a flow rate adjustment.

I just always used it as the water-stop to disconnect (which is what it's used for too).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I actually went and looked at one today and the salesperson said the same thing, that you could use the levers to adjust the flow rate. Ordered one through Amazon for $232.49 (http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-...R0MSOYZ8O&s=electronics&qid=1303957312&sr=1-1 which from what I can tell is a pretty good price). Seller sounds fishy (Ace Photo Digital) but it's fullfilled by Amazon, meaning they have it in the Amazon warehouse so I'm not too worried. The one they had at the aquarium store was $239.88 if you had a paid membership, plus 8.5% tax. No tax and free shipping from Amazon, regular price at the store was $499.99.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You -could- close the valves a little bit, but I wouldn't worry about it (I seem to recall it making more noise when they're not open all the way, but that could be just one of them- as you close them one at a time during maintenance)

If you have the money to spend on it, go ahead.

My only isssue was getting it in the cabinet. I had to cut away the brace between the doors!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
sboisvert said:
Thanks all. I actually went and looked at one today and the salesperson said the same thing, that you could use the levers to adjust the flow rate. Ordered one through Amazon for $232.49 (http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-...R0MSOYZ8O&s=electronics&qid=1303957312&sr=1-1 which from what I can tell is a pretty good price). Seller sounds fishy (Ace Photo Digital) but it's fullfilled by Amazon, meaning they have it in the Amazon warehouse so I'm not too worried. The one they had at the aquarium store was $239.88 if you had a paid membership, plus 8.5% tax. No tax and free shipping from Amazon, regular price at the store was $499.99.
That price is pretty decent. The best I've seen recently was at a certain online auction site for $225 shipped. So you did pretty good. They are great filters, enjoy.

For the media, I have bio media in all 3 trays plus some pillow stuffing in the top tray. The pre-cut blue and white media pads clog pretty quick and slow the flow rate down quite a bit so I don't use them. Keep it simple seems to work best.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rgr4475 said:
sboisvert said:
That price is pretty decent. The best I've seen recently was at a certain online auction site for $225 shipped. So you did pretty good. They are great filters, enjoy.

For the media, I have bio media in all 3 trays plus some pillow stuffing in the top tray. The pre-cut blue and white media pads clog pretty quick and slow the flow rate down quite a bit so I don't use them. Keep it simple seems to work best.
What kind of bio-media should I be putting in this thing. I'm such a noob with this, I've never had an aquarium before. Guess I should have listened more to the ex-girlfriend, though she never had a set up like this either, she liked her freshwater angelfish.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glaneon said:
You -could- close the valves a little bit, but I wouldn't worry about it (I seem to recall it making more noise when they're not open all the way, but that could be just one of them- as you close them one at a time during maintenance)

If you have the money to spend on it, go ahead.

My only isssue was getting it in the cabinet. I had to cut away the brace between the doors!
Oh God, I think I might just put my foot through the stand if I had to do that. lol. I just spent the last three weeks building the stand for this thing. I'm no carpenter, so there's been a few re-do's here and there and several cuss words spoken and on ocassion yelled. Finally got the molding on tonight, all that's left is to stain it and put the cabinet doors on it. Then figure out where to put it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is no such thing as too much filtration. If you hooked the return to a full length DIY spray bar it would work great.

More filtration = cleaner water = happier fish = fewer and lower volume water changes.

My 75 runs around 900gph and it keeps the water crystal clear.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JoelRHale said:
There is no such thing as too much filtration. If you hooked the return to a full length DIY spray bar it would work great.

More filtration = cleaner water = happier fish = fewer and lower volume water changes.

Spray Bar? OK, enlighten me.

Just taking a guess here but taking say a piece of pvc and drilling a bunch of holes in it and putting over the tank so it "sprays" the water onto the surface or put at the bottom of the tank above the substrate?

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's exactly what it is. I don't use one but if you were worried about too much water flow you could make one easily. I just have a 5/8" return line and a 2" flare nozzle and that handles it perfectly.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
sboisvert said:
rgr4475 said:
sboisvert said:

What kind of bio-media should I be putting in this thing. I'm such a noob with this, I've never had an aquarium before. Guess I should have listened more to the ex-girlfriend, though she never had a set up like this either, she liked her freshwater angelfish.
I use Fluval's Biomax rings. They get pretty pricey cause it takes a lot to fill the FX5. There are some other alternatives if you do a google search or search this site.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
JoelRHale said:

I would have to disagree on the more you filtrate, the fewer and lower volume water changes that you need to do. I would think that tt doesn't matter how much filtration you have, you are still going to produce the same amount of nitrate as you would with less filtration, thus still having to do the same % weekly water changes as you normally would to remove nitrates. You are just spreading out the bio load with more filters but not producing less nitrate.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I also run a very light stock comparatively speaking. And run a wet/dry as opposed to a canister. My adult length in the tank is 65" for 75 gallons but realistically at the moment is closer to 32."

I am away at school and am often gone for longer than a month. But with the set up i have now even with a change one to two months apart the parameters remain perfect.

I just assumed it was the added filtration but it could come down to the light stock, their diet, what have you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ps, I am very envious of your all male tank. I'm aspiring for something similar once I have a stable set place to live and not shuttling between the dorm room and home.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts