Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a long established 125 G tank with three canister filters. When I was doing a cleaning last night the impeller shaft on the smallest broke. I put the filter back together and connected it to the tank, filling it with tank water but did not turn it on for obvious reasons. I ordered the part but will be away for a week. Will that water grow any bad bacteria and be harmful to the tank once I turn it on? Should I empty it and clean it again when I get the new part? Any thoughts? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
My opinion is the water would become stagnant and you'll notice it when you open the filter back up to replace the impeller shaft. I would either place the filter media (sponges or bio-media) in the aquarium or let the filter remain open to air with no water in it and remove any media trays and also let them air out or drip dry.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I would take the media out of the filter and put it in the tank so it can get circulation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda and DJ - great answers! I didn't think of that but I will take out the filter basket and sponges and put them in the tank today. It will give the fish something new to peck at too! Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts