Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She wasn't just fed, and she didn't eat this morning.

I planned on putting the other holding yellow in a ten gallon by herself today, should I put this one in too?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
They be calm, and have the reputation of being mild, but they're still cichlids. Mbuna at that. A holding mother can still stress out it's lone tankmate. No real physical damage, but forcing into the upper reaches of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I agree, if you don't have another fry tank let one clutch go and keep one holding mother in the fry tank alone until she spits.

·
Registered
783 Posts
LOL.

I have a 10G tank that has six 1"+ yellow labs and three 1 1/4"+ BNP's in it.

That's the tank that I stuck the two 3"+ yellow labs that were holding into to spit ... and I didn't take anyone out before I did.

No murders so far ... at least that I know of ... :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Even if the mom's won't fight...they intimidate each other into holding the fry longer. The purpose of the one mom in the fry tank is so she feels safe with no threat to her babies so she will release them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
DJRansome said:
Even if the mom's won't fight...they intimidate each other into holding the fry longer. The purpose of the one mom in the fry tank is so she feels safe with no threat to her babies so she will release them.
Also a good point ... :thumb:

I did notice a second fry late yesterday or maybe earlier today. Initially I saw only one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well she spit the fry out before I could get her out of the tank. I was able to get one and put it in the 10g. I still have another yellow lab holding but I can't get her out of the tank, I'd have to take out all of the rocks but the problem is there are like 4-5 fry hiding out in there so if I move the rocks they'll get eaten.

And....I think I might have a rusty holding too. This is craziness.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
Once they start, they usually won't stop
Both yellows spit. I was able to save one fry from the first batch, put it in the 10g. None from the second, well haven't seen any. Now I'll try to get the holding Rusty and put her in the 10g, that's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question though. The fry that survived somehow made it in the big tank from an earlier batch, but they apparently ate enough. In the 10g, the brand new fry has no idea i put crushed food in there. It's not eating at all. This is a new tank so there really is nothing for it to eat. Plus, will it stay cycled with no waste?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Takes a day or 2 for them to figure out the food. The fry create waste...it will stay cycled for the bioload you have in the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts