Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I still haven't decided on exactly what I want to stock my 90g with but I want to have an aquarium where I won't have to treat the water constantly. I have well water that was tested with the API liquid gh/kh test and the results were 25 degrees gh and 10-15 degrees kh. I'm wondering if this water would be too hard for stocking american cichlids like an oscar, angelfish, and jack dempseys. I'm also worried that it may be too hard for mbunas, peacocks, or haps.

I do have a water softener system that uses salt pellets that I can mix water with but I heard this may not be a good idea. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
No.
- Your water is fine for the Jack Dempsey.
- I wouldn't go with Angel Fish in water that hard. Though, they could probably adapt to it and work out okay as long as you kept up with the water changes and your Nitrates were kept low in measured PPM (around 10 PPM).
- The 90 gallon aquarium is too small for keeping a single, adult-sized Oscar.
-
Your situation is probably best suited for an Mbuna setup.
But, I believe that stocking with a pair of interesting, mid-sized Central American Cichlids, (Nandopsis tetracanthus, Cuban Cichlid) would work well with your tap water and tank size, as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts