Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small 29 gallon nursing tank that I have not ran for some months. When it was working, I use biomedia in the filter along with a filter pad. I am about to replace the substrate in my 125g and I got the 29g tank up a running again, just in case I need it during the change out. I checked all of the water parameters and they are in good condition. So, is this tank still considered cycled or do I need to re-cycle it?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If it has not been running, you'll need to recycle it. Add some plain (not scented) ammonia (1-2ppm) to the tank, wait 24 hours and see if you have an ammonia reading. If you don't, check the nitrites. If no reading, check nitrates. If ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and you have a nitrate reading, you're cycled.

If you're not cycled, look up the fishless cycling article in the library to get you started.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have that article archived, so I will reference it.

I am changing my substrate, do you think it will be ok to house the fish temporarily in this tank I am referencing? I figured they would be in there no more than 1 - 2 days while the water filters. Or, can I leave them in the tank while I change the substrate.? I am using pool filter sand.

·
Super Moderator
40,712 Posts
I usually use buckets and do the change within 2 hours. Do you have enough room in the 29G for all the fish from your 72" tank? You could always change 100% of the water daily...but be sure your nitrates in the 72" tank are 10ppm or less and your fish are acclimated to it before you move them to the cleaner water.

You can also leave the fish in the 72" tank while you change the substrate. I don't find it easier but maybe you do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts