Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After quite a lot of research and removal of a couple of fish that didn't settle in, I have finally got a mixed cichlid tank that I am pleased with. I currently have:

4 Labs (m&f)
3 Rustys (m&f, I think)
3 Freibergi peacocks (male)
3 Marbled peacocks (male)
1 Yellow peacock (male)
1 Tawain Reef
1 VC10 Super hap
1 Yellow Nape hap
1 Blue dolphin hap
1 Red fin boreyli
1 Zebra Obliquidens
3 Cuckoo Catfish (about 1" big)

I have made a short video so you can see the tank:

My question is - is the stocking level about right for this tank? (65G or 240L). How do you correctly slightly overstock a tank to suppress some aggression? I don't mind adding more fish, but I am mindful that the tank may start get too full some of these fish grow.

Thanks for any advice,

Ian.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're overstocked as is.
Okay, thanks. I am aware that this may be too many fish in the years to come, but I just wanted a correctly stocked tank for their current size and the size of my tank. I would have thought if you always stocked a tank based on the size a fish could grow, a large tank would look very empty for years?

Ian.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well, you usually get more fish than what you're going to want, yes, but it's so you can weed out excess males (and females, if this is an all-male tank). So you'd start with 4-6 of each species in a larger tank and pull the non-dominant males/females to get some gorgeous males. Or you'd do 8-10 and narrow it down to 1m:5f for a harem tank.

Based on their current size, you're looking good (judging by the video). You're going to want to upgrade to a larger tank just so the haps have room to swim when they mature, or you could get rid of some of the larger haps as they start pushing 6-7" and stick to the mbuna and smaller peacocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having a little stocking issues too, i have a 72gal bow front and a south american(community) id like more fish in it but don't know how much is about right and what types i should get. I like variety and right now i got two oscars about 5-6 inch and two black one pik convicts about 3-4 inch and finally a bottom feeding catfish i cannot remember the name but hes about 3-4 inch and stays hidden a lot. I recently got some great hiding space and they love it.... what do you guys think i should get next??? and how many more fish could i get? please help!!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
mROBLEZ, Two Oscars is more than enough for a 72g tank. In fact, it is too small for them given that they can grow to 12 or even 14 inches. I don't think you should get anything else except a larger tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
or you could get rid of some of the larger haps as they start pushing 6-7" and stick to the mbuna and smaller peacocks.
How long do you reckon this will take?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts