Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new to owning cichlids and recently one of my Red Zebras has been acting strange. She has been digging in the gravel and become more skittish. Could this be pregnant behavior? :-?

Sorry about the quality of the photos, I'll try and get some better ones

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
No, what you see has nothing to do with spawning behaviour. These fish are also mouthbrooders THIS is a good article for you to read on mouthbrooders.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Fish don't really get pregnant in the sense that humans do.

After fish spawn, females hold the developing eggs in their mouth, where they develop into free swimming fry, and are eventually released about a month later.

Your fish is not holding fry now, but looking at her she does appear to have a puffy tummy which could be an indicator that she is full of eggs and getting ready to spawn. OR, it could be she just had a meal. You'll see a pouch under her jaw when she's got some eggs in there.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'll get a good picture of my holding red zebra this weekend (unless she spits before then, which is very possible!) - you'll see a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTZ said:
Doesn't appear so. Could be spawning behaviour.
What are you feeding?
I am feeding them Omega One Natural Protein Formula sinking pellets. I tried the floating ones and they refused to eat them. Can you suggest treats or supplemental foods for them?

Thank you all for your help and I am aware that cichlids are mouthbrooders.

·
Registered
493 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Switch to a much lower protein food. Omega one is too high.
A high protein content in food is not a bad thing. Rather the source of the protein and the ingredients is what you need to consider. What fish do you have beside the zebra?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Can't hurt to have both lower protein AND excellent quality ingredients like New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula, especially if your fish are omnivores or herbivores. NLS is 34% protein just for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timkat4867 said:
dielikemoviestars said:
Switch to a much lower protein food. Omega one is too high.
A high protein content in food is not a bad thing. Rather the source of the protein and the ingredients is what you need to consider. What fish do you have beside the zebra?
My female Red Zebra = Ponyta (I don't know if other people do this, but I do name my fish :) )

My male Red Zebra = Rapidash

My Jewel = Spy

My.....? = Kiara (can anyone tell what kind she is? I'm not sure if she is an electric yellow or not because I'm not sure if all electric yellows have the black stripe)

[/img]

I also have a Betta = Sparta (of course he is in his own bowl and not with my cichlids)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here's a RZ that's been holding about 3 weeks I think..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There's actual fry in there by now, but yes, at first it's eggs. Preferably fertilized.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nope.

RZ's are monomorphic (unless they're WC/from a specific area, where males are blue) - males & females look the same. Some folks say you can see blue in the fins when light is behind it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glaneon said:
Nope.

RZ's are monomorphic (unless they're WC/from a specific area, where males are blue) - males & females look the same. Some folks say you can see blue in the fins when light is behind it.
So the egg spots on the anal fin don't really tell you anything?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nope. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts