Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have 4 female kenyi and one male. They have spawned twice before but i have never witnessed this. This morning when I went to feed the tank, i noticed one of the female kenyi's colors had become incredibly dull and almost has a yellow tint in her. *** had her for about a year now and she has, as well as the others, always been a vibrant blue with strong black stripes. Now even the stripes are faded. She has been in hiding all day and night and the male kenyi will not let another fish within a foot of her without attacking the **** out of them. She did eat but only a few very very small peices of food that had already been chewed up and barely opened her mouth to get the food in. Other than that she REFUSES to open her mouth. Any chance this means she is holding eggs? im almost 100 percent that she isnt sick because the water is immaculate and levels are all perfect and other than what i have described when she swims she see,s very healthy

·
Registered
656 Posts
"She" might be a "He", unless you are 100% sure this is the female that had fry before. It is pretty common for a male kenyi to stay blue to avoid a beatdown from the dominant male

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
A picture would help a lot. If she's holding eggs, she will have a mouth full of them and you will be able to see a big bulge in her throat. If she's not holding, then she might be sick because healthy fish should always eat with vigor. Fish can get sick even in pristine water conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she is no longer in hiding and is eating like a maniac again. Everything has returned to normal for her with the exception of her color. There is definitely quite a bit of new fry in the tank. I've counted 8 so far but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. I never saw a bugle in her mouth per say but her jaws and under her mouth seemed to move uncontrollably for a few days as if something were moving around inside. I am very curiouse to know if she is the mother, just hard to say because there are a few other female kenyi in the tank. I will post a picture of her tomorrow thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
71 Posts
greg1786 said:
she is no longer in hiding and is eating like a maniac again. Everything has returned to normal for her with the exception of her color. There is definitely quite a bit of new fry in the tank. I've counted 8 so far but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. I never saw a bugle in her mouth per say but her jaws and under her mouth seemed to move uncontrollably for a few days as if something were moving around inside. I am very curiouse to know if she is the mother, just hard to say because there are a few other female kenyi in the tank. I will post a picture of her tomorrow thanks for the feedback
She was tumbling her fry.

Interest pics. Not malawians but good example of what holding mother fish look like. The pic is of my colony of zebra obliquidens before I swapped them. These girls always had 40-50 fry and if one held, within a week they were all holding. AquaRabbits :lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
here's an RZ holding, after 3 weeks:

Note the mouth shape/boucchal? pouch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys those pictures are really cool. *** been in the fish hobby for about 15 years. Always had community freshwater tank. Its only been about a year and half that *** been into African cichlids so im still learning and i appreciate any and all advice i can get. What is "tumbling fry"? I have a 72 gallon tank for my Mbunas. There are 12 total adult fish and about 25 fry right now. Im getting ready to take half the fry to my LFS to donate because i dont think there is enough room for all these fish once grown? What do you guys think, can i pull it off or should i get rid of the fry?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
"tumbling" is the female juggling the eggs around in her mouth. If you raise the fry up until the males start to battle, you might be able to get something in trade from the lfs, maybe some females for one of the other species?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts