Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a Hap Ahli (only Hap in the tank) who appeared to have a swollen anus area 2 day ago. Looked on line saw feeding peas might help with digestive issue. Yesterday swelling was down but today I have noticed the fish is moving (almost a twitching)the mouth but just the mouth. I saw it could be holding. Would a fish hold if eggs were not fertilized? Could a different breed fertilize the eggs? Could the fish be sick?
It is a 125 gallon tank. PH 8.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrate 5.
Triscuit should you read this...I took all your advice last time on high Nitrates, stopped feeding the fish for 5 days, did lots of water changes and got the tank under control. Also provide frozen food as a treat only. Havent had any health issues since. Forum is GREAT! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Jack and Pete said:
Would a fish hold if eggs were not fertilized?
Yes
Jack and Pete said:
Could a different breed fertilize the eggs?
Yes
Jack and Pete said:
Could the fish be sick?
Yes

If the fryeri is blue it is probably not a female so then you would want to explore the possibility it is sick.

What other fish are in the tank? Fryeri are known to crossbreed with peacocks.

Females can hold unfertilized eggs, usually they spit/swallow in about a week if this happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...that helps alot. The fish is not electric blue as I would have liked so I figured it was a female, its dull and dark (but still very pretty). I have 6 peacocks, 2 black calvus, Frontosa, Brichardi, Acei, Moori, Lamp Lelpupi, Pseudo Elongatus, maingano, that names most of them.
The fish is acting normal except for the mouth. Will she eat if she is holding?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Jack and Pete said:
Will she eat if she is holding?
Sometimes a couple of pellets. Sounds like you may have some fryeri/peacock fry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, last question (I think) I heard so much about having a hospital tank (10 gallons). I set one up about 2 months ago, never added fish, would you move her to the hospital tank? Or move her to a breeders net in the regular tank. I never considered breeding and I m not sure I need babies.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I would let her spit in the main tank because what would you do with 20 or more hybrid babies?

If you want to salvage the fry you could move her to the hospital tank. Might want to wait at least a week since she is likely to spit or swallow around one week if the eggs are not fertilized.

Sounds like the hospital is not cycled (no fish for 2 months) so you would also want to add filter media or gravel from an established tank.

Might want to consider removing her permanently from the tank since an accidental female among males in an all-male tank may not remain healthy due to aggression.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can not thank you enough for all the help. I will leave her be for now as 20 babies are/were not in my plan.
The hospital tank was set up with gravel from the main tank and Nutra cycle for the first week, I know the PH is good but unsure as to the rest of the levels. Would have to look into that!!
I will also keep an eye should tank mates become aggressive I will remove her as she is a sweet fish.
Should I see Fry I will get back to you.... Again many Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
The bacteria in the hospital tank will not survive without an ammonia source to feed them...either fish or ammonia. For a while yes. But not forever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, you were right! She swallowed or spit the eggs. How often does a fish produce eggs. As it appears she is doing it again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts