Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed 1 of my female lemon jakes cruising around. All the females had that normal fish shape, but I noticed 1 with what looks like a lump in her lower jaw. I sort of figured if she was holding it would be bigger though. I was just wondering if she's just getting fat or maybe got stung by 1 of the catfish? When she swims by the side she's also a bit wider and the inside of her gills show more when shes breathing. Again, just want to make sure she's ok and not in distress or anything. I'm not planning on keeping babies if she does have eggs, just want to make sure she isn't sick or getting fat haha. I have noticed the catfish chasing them around too. They are lace catfish, they aren't super big yet, but 1 of them that does a lot of the chasing is probably at least the size of the young jakes if not a little bigger.

Oh also the female for the most part just sits in a corner next to a rock near the bottom. No signs of her being harassed like torn up fins or anything

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks like she is holding to me too. Does she eat? Holding females do not eat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Newbie said:
Looks like she is holding to me too. Does she eat? Holding females do not eat.
She hasn't been eating that I have seen. She just sort of cruises around on the bottom and mainly sticks to 1 corner.

It's good to know there is nothing wrong with her. God speed to all the babies who are about to be released hah. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now it looks like 3 of the 4 females in there are holding? Also, it appears the 1 male has chased them all into the top corner. I've always heard when fish are near the top and hiding behind equipment they're being harassed. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I was told the male was wild caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
How many fish are in the tank? A crowd of fish helps but if there are just a few females they may be getting stressed out, they can sometimes die so you don't want them too harassed. Holding females naturally tend to be inactive and try to avoid activity, so hiding in the corner is normal, harassed or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 75 gallon tank with 1 male and 4 female lemon jakes and 2 synodontis catfish, 1 bristlenose pleco and 3 zebra danios.

I've been watching and it doesn't seem like they're getting harassed THAT much. The male will come over and do little short chases here and there, but not like constantly around the tank. The fins on the females don't look torn up either. I guess I'm just not used to seeing them all huddled up in the corner or down below in the bottom corner.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The position is the indicator of harassment. IME a fish will not choose that upper corner position voluntarily. If you put them alone in a tank they will not lurk under the surface.

The male(s) may continue to try to spawn with holding females even when they are already holding. This is why you want lots of females...so there is always someone ELSE to chase.

As noki suggests...20 fish in a 75G will help manage aggression. You could also remove the male or the holding females until the babies are spit and the females recover.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
The position is the indicator of harassment. IME a fish will not choose that upper corner position voluntarily. If you put them alone in a tank they will not lurk under the surface.

The male(s) may continue to try to spawn with holding females even when they are already holding. This is why you want lots of females...so there is always someone ELSE to chase.

As noki suggests...20 fish in a 75G will help manage aggression. You could also remove the male or the holding females until the babies are spit and the females recover.
Thank you. I think I will move the male for a bit. I have a spare 10g tank that I would think he would be ok in for a little bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts