Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m beginning to stock my 75 gallon with African Cichlids. I started off with 5 Yellow Labs, and today I purchashed 6 Demasoni and 3 Yellow Labs. I just added them. As I was observing, I realized one of them has a heavily bulging throat. I initially thought it was sick but it I remember seeing that cichlids bulge their throats when they're carrying. Here’s what it looks like:

Is my cichlid holding?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she is holding!!
Omg what do I do now? I’m happy to accept cichlid fry but how do I take her if her? Is it even likely she will birth them (if thats the right term) with the changes in water parameters, or is this unlikely to have an effect? The tanks are about the same temperature and are both cycled, but the pH might be slightly different

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Well if you are not ready for babies, just let her spit (release) them in the tank as she will breed again soon. Females can hold eggs/fry in their mouths between 21 to 30 days.

Did you buy from a local breeder or pet store? If a pet store, you can't be sure who she spawned with so I'd just let her spit them in the tank.

Are you new to the whole Lake Malawi cichlids thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you are not ready for babies, just let her spit (release) them in the tank as she will breed again soon. Females can hold eggs/fry in their mouths between 21 to 30 days.

Did you buy from a local breeder or pet store? If a pet store, you can't be sure who she spawned with so I'd just let her spit them in the tank.

Are you new to the whole Lake Malawi cichlids thing?
What happens if she spits them back in the tank? I’m not not ready for babies, this was just unexpected. I have a continuously running 10 gallon hospital tank that I can keep them in until I figure out what to do.

I bought these from a local fish store, not like Petsmart or anything, it’s a specialized fish store who just got this shipment of Demasoni from their breeders on Friday. As far as I know, theyve been kept in Demasoni-species only tanks.

I’m not completely new to Malawi cichlids, I had 15 or so for about a year until we had an accident and I made the really stupid mistake of forgetting to treat the water with prime, so I lost all of them. Its been a few months and after some lack of motivation to start again, I’m trying to restart the tank. Back then I had a successful mixed tank, I had some Yellow Labs, Blue Johannis, Auratus, OB Zebras, and some assorted ones. I mostly keep Gouramis and Angelfish, never had my fish breed before, so I’m unexperienced in this aspect of the hobby.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
If she spits them in the tank it's probable that the other fish will eat them though some may escape and hide in the rocks.

A 10G is fairly small for a holding female demasoni but will work in a pinch if you really want to save fry. Ideally a 15G or 20 long is better to raise the fry until you can sell them.

There are quite a few articles in the Cichlid-forum.com Library, look through the African Cichlids and Breeding articles for more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts