Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just brought a new smokey grey convict yesterday.

I was after a pair but the guy in the store said they only had males anyway after reading up on them I am not sure if he is correct as it seems to have a red tinge along its lower belly???

What do you guys think?

I want to get a female but don't want to end up with two females due to mistaken identity.

I originally was going to get a pair of red forst jewels but as soon as I saw this guy I feel in love with him/her as I would really like an oscar but can't have a big enough setup to keep one where this guys seemed like a mini oscar as he is quite stocky.

His colour seems to change quiet often from a nice smokey grey to a lighter semi white grey at times. I know he isnt your typical white with black stripes convict but I really like the grey colour.

Also do you think a 76litre tank is large enough for a pair of convicts? Or should I just keep the one?

·
Registered
129 Posts
you might need some better pictures hes far in the 1st he is a little far and in the 2nd his stomach is sorta covered

but i would say male but its not a solid answer

by the way nice con :thumb:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he/she is really hard to take clear pics of cause he/she moves so fast lol

but I'll give these a try

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for the feedback

I use the metric systems so I'm not sure how many feet it is but the tank measures at 40cm x 40cm x 46cm (so it could fit on m desk) I think which worked out to be 76 litres....is that large enough for a convict couple?

·
Registered
322 Posts
it is close to 20US gal, but the dimensions are a bit odd. foot print isn't that large so i would say no probably not. others may disagree. just my opinion

·
Registered
326 Posts
male, no orange color, elongated fins, and head shape.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I'd say it looks like a typical male. But long fins and head shape are not always a proven factor! My females grow very nice long fins! And the matriarch in the group has a developed nutchal hump! BUT, most people don't keep a group of convicts like I do :) Tank size does matter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
lol yea your cons probably look like a full grown midas :fish:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hes actually alot darker grey than those pics suggest....for some reason the flash makes him look more white. I can tell the diff between a femal and a male now.

So you think I should stay with just one fish in a tank of that size?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree. That tank would most likely be best with just the one male. A tank that small is not good if there is aggression during breeding.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so if I dont get a female convict do you recommend any other type of fish to go in the tank that the male wont kill????.......a rock?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well if you do want to try a rock you could get some fake plants too. That will allow the aggression to be spread around and give the rock a better chance. ...Did I take it too far? :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you know what...I'm going to give a female convict ago....the male I brought was in a tank with 5 other males who were all chilling right next to each other ...no aggression at all while a tank of red forest jewels right next to them were killing each other.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts