Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're still extremely small in the 10gal tank and I plan on putting them in a bigger tank eventually but I was curious on how difficult it is to set up and maintain the 60gal. I was told that a 60g would be easier to maintain because when a change happened in the tank it isn't as drastic because there is a lot more water. If that makes sense.. I was wondering if this is someone talking out of their ass or not?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, the greater the volume the more stable the tank will be. One fish in a 10g produces as much as 1 in a 65g but the accumulated waste will not effect the fish as quickly. Also, 10% water changes with water not temperature equalized will have more drastic effects in the smaller than the larger. Loss of your heater in the 10g will take less time to reach room temp than in the 60g. If you add med's or salt and miscalculate and overdose by say 5ml the potential of killing everything in the 10g is pretty high where the 60g won't be effected as much.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Awesome, on-point answers from all!
I would like to add that the 10 gallon is indeed to small for keeping just about ANY GROUP of Central American cichlids. Eventually, if they are the same species, a dominate pair of fish will spawn in that tank.
And, in a 10 gallon aquarium? That will be seriously Bad News for all of the non-paired fish kept in that tiny tank with the spawning pair. :oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts