Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. .....
I have had these guys for a little over a year now and purchased a 29 gallon for them....
I've learned so much from having these buggers, but I'm feeling like it is time to get rid of them before they destroy each other.

First off.... is my tank really an unsuitable environment for these fish due to it's size?
The mom Arutus is holding right now and they seem to always have a save place to hide.... but I don't want to come home to one of them chewed up.....
2nd any suggestions on getting the hard water spots off the front of the tank and controlling the algae growth?
3rd Any aquascaping suggestions are more than welcomed! :)

I have two 150 bio wheels on this tank and have laid it out as best as possible for these fish.
1 pair Aurutus
1 kennyi
1 yellow lab
2 unknown malawi

The kennyi is close to double the size of any other fish in the tank. The Aurutus pair is growing a t slower rate and the lab and unknown's growth has been extremely slow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Um, wow. Yes, it really is far too small to be a good home for the auratus and kenyi, definitely! You're very lucky you haven't had major aggression problems yet!

The yellow lab is probably fine in there. If you'd like to stick with cichlids, I'd get rid of everyone except the lab and get him/her 4 or so buddies.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Your Blue Guy looks like he's had his fins nipped almost completely off. If he's your favourite, I would see if you can return everything save him and the Lab to an LFS (call first, they don't like surprises).
Once he's grown his fins back, you could look into a few more Labs. It's considered boring, but blue and yellow look really nice together!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya... he is in bad shape :(
I'm heading down to the LFS with auratus and the kenyi tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the "blue guy" is a female kenyi (lombardoi) - hence the chewed fins.
Of course, it could be a sub dominant male (less likely if you've had them a year) which will turn yellow when your dominant male is removed.................

·
Registered
113 Posts
The suggestion made by FishandFire is a god one :thumb:

The other suggeston that I would like to add is:

Give away or sell Aurutus and kennyi !!! :x

Take a look at your picture No2. That pour fish have no fins because of Aurutus and kennyi!
They are way to aggressive for such small tank. Instead of them add two more yellow lab and for example add some fish from Cynotilapia species, they are nice and small.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm heading down to the LFS with auratus and the kenyi tomorrow.
Call first! Most LFS don't do returns/exchanges/credit for fish on the weekends. Or they will, but you'll have to listen to a lecture...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... The auratus pair and kenyi are gone :(.....

I've moved the yellow lab and blue guy for a bit and I am doing an over haul on the tank.

I want to stock it with yellow labs. How many can I put in this 29 gallon tank? 3 or 4?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts