Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished my new 125gallon cichlid tank, I have my own do it yourself background, with cichlid substrate. Any how the test are all in a good to awesome range after only 14 days. I have a fluval fx 5 and aqua clear 5000 jet filtration setup with a sponge filter on the intake side.
The readings for nitrite is 0ppm
Ammonia is 0ppm
karbonate hardness 7ppm,
general hardness is 12ppm
ph is at 7.8 to 7.9.
I used existing media for the fluval that was in my 100 gallon tank with my rena xp3 as well as rinsed my dirty filter out from rena in the new tank, and after all that i dumped all the crude at the bottom of filter into the new tank in the begining. The water cleared up quickly and at that I was suprised. I also put some feeder fish in it after 2 days they died after a few hours, did water change retested couple days later and put 10 guppies and some more feeders in. The tank seems great now no dead fish yet and tank appears ready is this even possible seems quick. So should I start adding my cichlids a few at a time in weekly intervals or wait a bit longer?
I can hardly wait though! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just seems quick Ii guess I should be glad for that, since I have been a bit impatient in the begining to the demise of the first set of feeders.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I dont have that test kit. Ill try to get one this weekend, never the less I will wait for that one but where should that read?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unknowable. You don't know what your nitrogen load was when you started.

Both different bacteria (ammonia to nitrite and nitrate to nitrate) need to be kept fed for your tank to have been properly cycled. You seeded your tank with both bacteria, but your first batch of fish died. That's not a good sign. Also, your 10 guppies in a 125gal tank is not a sufficient bioload to cycle your tank for a serious population of cichlids.

It takes 6 weeks plus to get the nitrite to nitrate bacteria population up and running. You got a head start with the seeding. Although I would have cycled with ammonia rather than fish, since you've already started with fish (and they aren't dying now), I'd add more feeders (assuming that they will be utilized later) to get the bioload up to what you plan for the cichlids. After a week of zero nitrite readings (and after prophylactic treating for disease), I'd do a water change and introduce all your cichlids. This partially ameliorates any territory / aggression issues.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
MPKS92 said:
Yea, I dont have that test kit. Ill try to get one this weekend, never the less I will wait for that one but where should that read?
Anything above 0 and rising. That assumes you don't have nitrates in your source water.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, for the advice. Yea I was wondering bout the load as well. Just little cautious after first batch died. however I think they died due to not rinsing the tank a second time after I finished my DIY background. It did'nt smell at all but I only rinsed it once plus the feeders were sick possible any way. I put some in our hospital tank and all but 2 died. And its been going for over a year and tests are all in normal range. And there are additional tetras that are always in the hospital to keep it cycled. Again thanks. And I will do as suggested with introducing them all, thats a good idea that I forgot all about. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts