Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about UV sterilizers. I myself don't use them, but is it possible for them to weaken the imune system of fish? I know there used to controll Algea blooms and also used for Disease controll.

The reason I'm asking is a friend of mine bought a large quanity of fish from a breeder who uses UV's on every tank. When the fish came in they all looked healthy. All the fish were spilt betweem 3 different people and were all having the same problem with the fish purchased (Blout)

So is it possible for fish that were hatched, raised, and grownend with UV's for Disease controll, to have a weak imune system in a tank that doe's not use UV's?

Any info would be helpfull
Thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
UV's do not weaken the immune system of fish. They do not have any effect on the fish themselves. All they do is kill pathogens in the water and they are not 100% effective at that so there will always be low levels of pathogens to trigger immune responses in fish. These low levels are so low that they never become infectious where they would cause harm to the fish population.

It's been my experience that Bloat is more often a dietary issue. Foods too high in protein and fat for the fish. You may want to switch over to a lower protein and fat level food like a heavy spirulina flake formula. Something about 35-40% protien and 3-5% fat.

Andy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
UV's do not weaken the immune system of fish. They do not have any effect on the fish themselves. All they do is kill pathogens in the water and they are not 100% effective at that so there will always be low levels of pathogens to trigger immune responses in fish. These low levels are so low that they never become infectious where they would cause harm to the fish population.

It's been my experience that Bloat is more often a dietary issue. Foods too high in protein and fat for the fish. You may want to switch over to a lower protein and fat level food like a heavy spirulina flake formula. Something about 35-40% protien and 3-5% fat.

Andy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responce.
Your first paragraph explained everything. I just kind of thought that there might be a chance that a fish born and raised with UV's would have a harder time fighting infections and diease in a tank with out UV's. Just for the fact that with UV's their Immune system wouldn't have to kick in as much, but you explained everthing I needed to know.

As far as thier diet goes. The fish are feed a spirulina diet every day, and NLS every second feeding, but a lighter feeding.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I’ve heard the same concern…

Since a fish born/raised in a tank with UV… will never be subject to minor infections… so their immune system may not develop to defend from these diseases…

Narwhal’s description sounds very logical… better than I would have put together…

I can say that I have raised a number of Blue Dempseys in tanks with UV lights… then as adults moved them to tanks without UV lights… with no ill effects…

After working with a species well known to be susceptible to parasitic diseases for 2 years… using UV lights with them the whole time… I do not believe that using UV will inhibit their immune system in any way…

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I’ve heard the same concern…

Since a fish born/raised in a tank with UV… will never be subject to minor infections… so their immune system may not develop to defend from these diseases…

Narwhal’s description sounds very logical… better than I would have put together…

I can say that I have raised a number of Blue Dempseys in tanks with UV lights… then as adults moved them to tanks without UV lights… with no ill effects…

After working with a species well known to be susceptible to parasitic diseases for 2 years… using UV lights with them the whole time… I do not believe that using UV will inhibit their immune system in any way…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.