Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one convict cichlid to stay in a 10 gallon if I add no more fish?

I've considered trading him for a Mbuna to go in my soon to come tank, but He's like a little friend. He's very shy around other fish. I'm having to get my Kennyi out of that tank because I know they need totally different types of pH/water hardness.

Is it fine to keep the con in the 10 gallon while I move my kennyi to the 55g?

Or should I take him back in hopes he'll find a someone with a larger tank?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
For convicts, I would consider anything in the 10-20 gal. range to be only temporary, and not a long-term home. Ideally, the smallest I would go for long-term housing is a 30 gal., 3 ft. tank. Anything less for an adult convict is a bit too cramped, IMO.

BV

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is where the MTS sets in....

You wouldn't really want to give up your little friend now would you? :roll: And if he had a bigger tank you could get him a nice little female for companionship....

Then you'd have that 10g as a QT or fry tank, or possibly as an emergency oh-my-god-I-just-had-to-have-that-fish tank to hold your new fish in while you buy yet another tank.

:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only issue is that I don't have a lot of room. And I'm not the only one with an aquarium. So space and plug in outlets are limited.

I did think about using the 10g to house my extremely small cichlids until they got about 2 inches then moved them into the big tank. Kinda like a "training" school in a weird way so I just don't drop him in a tank with big bullies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts