Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 55 gal tank and am thinking about getting this 75 gallon one I seen online. My questions is if im gonna be using the same filters, heaters, substrate etc.... in the 75 gal do i need to let it "cycle" still or will it be ok to put fish in this 10 gal and 5 gal i have while i move everything over and then immediately place them in the new tank?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
As long as you are not increasing the bioload (i.e. adding new fish), you shouldn't have a problem. I would keep a test kit handy and monitor the levels for the first few days though.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I second the testing after the move. Be ready to do water changes, if needed. Make the move when you're going to be around for a couple of days and available to deal with spikes if they happen. Too many variables to guarantee you won't see any.

·
Banned
406 Posts
You should be fine. I went from a 55 to a 90 without any problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I moved from a 33 to a 110 and doubled my bio load. I had absolutely no prblems in switching tanks. All I did was move all of my canister media from the 33 to the sump for the 110. Everything worked great.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks guys that gives me a little piece of mind. I plan on just moving both canisters without even opening them as to not disturb any of the biological bacteria and didnt really plan on cleaning any of the sand, plants or rocks as they arent really dirty by any mean.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yes, good idea, don't clean anything, just move it. I'd probably not feed for 24 hours while testing. Fish will probably be stressed out a bit anyway. If you get 0 ammonia/nitite after 24 hours, you should be good going forward. If you see spikes, they should be low and brief.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You should be ok. I usually transfer about half the water and substrate from the old tank first and then add the fish before topping off the new tank with new water, hook up the filter and heater and you are set. Never failed for me, but I always, always test parameters on my new tank daily for a few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I moved everything ( Decor, Gravel, Filter and most of the water ) from my 55 gallon to a 110 gallon with no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts