Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it says it removes ammonia and makes aquarium water crystal clear....

.... but if it removes ammonia does that mean that the bacteria in the filter will start dying?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You don't need it. Your biofiltration will handle the ammonia.

It won't remove all of it, so no the bacteria won't die if you use it.

The only time it might be helpful is if you have unexpected spikes from some problem, but then I'd be doing water changes, not waiting for some product to remove the ammonia over time while the fish suffer.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It won't hurt anything to use it. The only caution I'd have is if using it in a new tank. I don't like to add/remove media in the first 60 days. Let things get real established first.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
That's good, I do too, but I didn't mean to say you shouldn't. I just meant that once you set up your filter and start the cycling process, leave the media alone for 60 days.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
Carbon also is not necessary if you have a healthy tank. The water should be crystal clear without carbon.

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
Carbon will not help with algae. Look for the cause of the smell, a healthy tank, even with algae should not smell.

If the water out of your tap has the same smell, then carbon might help.

But if it is just the tank, the smell is a symptom of something wrong. Helpful, because now you are alerted to a problem to be solved.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The smell could be a high organic load. As DJ said, if it's not the tap, then look for organics in the substrate, etc. You may be due for some serious vacuuming of the substrate and a large water change.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Have you checked your nitrate level? What type of substrate and do you vacuum it? Have you moved and vacuumed under any rocks or other decor? These are places where organics can accumulate. Also, what type of filter and what's your maintenance schedule like?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nitrate is always low in my tanks

i vacuum every 5 days when i do water change

i have aragonite substrate so its pretty easy to vacuum

i have both an aquaclear 110 and an emperor 280 on a 75gallon tank.

i havent moved any of the decor in about a month. but i know theres a lot of **** under them because my cichlids dug out caves under them

·
Administrator
41,827 Posts
I'd remove the decor and vacuum. Then scrape the substrate back and place the decor directly on the bottom. This accomplishes two things. One, no more place for dirt to accumulate. Two, the fish cannot dig underneath and topple the decor onto themselves or the tank.

Normal algae does not smell at all.

I've heard in some cases cyanobacteria can smell (this has not happened when I had cyanobacteria). If you have cyanobacteria (blue-green, slimey, creates a sheet) that is a different problem with a different solution. It can happen if your nitrates are too low, especially if you have plants.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have no real plants.

my decor is dried up corals, so theres no way to lay them flat on the bottom of the tank.

i have 2 plecos in there and usually when they swim through the holes they stir everything up and the filters pick it up.

i run a 25 watt UV sterilizer on my tanks for a day about once a week. so there shouldnt be any free floating bacteria.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.