Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't build "fish" tanks, but I do build tanks for other uses. This tank is Makralon GP I believe. It has kind of a grey colour to it. I just use the same Weld-On flavours that you would use with acrylic. I use polycarbonate where I am worried about mechanical stresses or chemical attacks on the tank. This tank is used for pressure testing a plastic valve body at around 250 PSI, and has to be able to hold shrapnel and potentially brass plugs shooting around the tank. The aluminum frame is simply to ensure that the tank is not damaged when moving it around in an industrial environment. This one is 3/8", but I could have easily gotten away with 3/16" and still not had to worry about projectiles exiting or the tank or the sides bowing (even without the frame). I used 3/8" because I wanted a thicker bond line for resilience in an industrial setting. The material does bend much more than acrylic, but it's also much less delicate to work with. It does not cut well with a laser, and can similarly build up heat and melt back to itself during machining operations. Using clean water as a cutting fluid will keep it cool, and keep it from fusing to itself or tooling. Hope this helps someone down the line somewhere.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.