Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mbuna cichlids in a 45 gallons at the moment. It's a new set-up and they are juveniles. I plan on getting a 48 x 18 x 20 or 24 inches tank, so 75 gallons or 90 gallons next summer.

BUT... I think a 24 inches tank would be too high and hard to maintain for me. I'm not thrilled about the look of it either. I've read so many times the width is what matter for Mbunas (maybe cichlids in general, I don't know) and I wonder if it would make a difference in their happiness with 4 more inches of water ? Or not ?

If it makes a big difference, I'll consider getting a 90 gallons tank instead. I really want what's best for the fish and this will be my last and only tank as I have no more room. So I need to choose wisely.

Also, would I be able to add more fish to the tank in a 90 gallons vs 75 gallons ?

Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I prefer a 75G myself. The advantage of a larger water volume is primarily stability, which I have never had a problem with.

I like the appearance, the ability to maintain and the cost of the 75G better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I prefer a 75G myself. The advantage of a larger water volume is primarily stability, which I have never had a problem with.

I like the appearance, the ability to maintain and the cost of the 75G better.
Great, I'm glad to hear that, thank you ! I think 75 gallons are very nice tanks with a good size.

·
Registered
538 Posts
For mbuna, no, the 75gal is fine. They won't make much use of the extra height on a 90gal.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Wait now.... we're missing something. I mean really, check this out,

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/ind ... ner&u=2843

that's one of my old, 110G XH Mbuna tanks. With some REALLY BIG, Mountain Lace Rocks piled up all the way to the surface of that tank. And, those Mbuna I stocked in it? Used the entire water column in that tank. Seriously.
They DID NOT hug the bottom. Nope. Top to bottom, those cichlids stocked in there were all over those rocks!
So, maybe the question is - what can your space accommodate? I mean, can you site a four foot long tank, in the space you have available? Great! And so, if you are using a stand for this tank? Then why not go - ALL IN? I mean seriously.... Check out a 150 gallon XH, overflow w/sump system. Yep. Something that - big? Won't take up any more ACTUAL space in your home that the 75G will! Nope.
And, when you WAY more than double the water capacity - with a sump system - in comparison to a 75G? There are a LOT of advantages in a system like that.
Otherwise... if your space is seriously limited? Why not just go with a four foot long, 33 gallon long tank?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Auballagh said:

that's one of my old, 110G XH Mbuna tanks. With some REALLY BIG, Mountain Lace Rocks piled up all the way to the surface of that tank. And, those Mbuna I stocked in it? Used the entire water column in that tank. Seriously.
They DID NOT hug the bottom. Nope. Top to bottom, those cichlids stocked in there were all over those rocks!
So, maybe the question is - what can your space accommodate?
I've had the same experience with mbuna and the 24" and 30" tanks I've had. They stay mostly in the bottom half but do swim in all regions of the tank and so do utilize even the top areas.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have two 90 gallon tanks - they were good prices. A 90 does not take up any extra floor space, just a little extra height. I'd think a 75 would be just about as good though, especially if less money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auballagh said:

So, maybe the question is - what can your space accommodate? I mean, can you site a four foot long tank, in the space you have available? Great! And so, if you are using a stand for this tank? Then why not go - ALL IN? I mean seriously.... Check out a 150 gallon XH, overflow w/sump system. Yep. Something that - big? Won't take up any more ACTUAL space in your home that the 75G will! Nope.
And, when you WAY more than double the water capacity - with a sump system - in comparison to a 75G? There are a LOT of advantages in a system like that.
Otherwise... if your space is seriously limited? Why not just go with a four foot long, 33 gallon long tank?
Yeah, I know, it's been turning in my head. At least for the 90 gallons. I think more than that would be too much for me to handle physically. But I'll still think about !

33 gallons would take as much room (my problem is the width, not the height) and not be enough for the fish I have at the moment I'm afraid (4 x yellow labs, 4 x demasoni and 4 x white tail acei).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
punman said:
I have two 90 gallon tanks - they were good prices. A 90 does not take up any extra floor space, just a little extra height. I'd think a 75 would be just about as good though, especially if less money.
I'll budget for it, so a few hundred bucks more is okay. I had a 75 gallons before but never a 90 gallons. It's only 3 inches higher than a 75 and I'm afraid I'm going to regret it if I don't go for the 90 gallons. Lots of time to think about it though !

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
You want the 48x18 footprint (whether 75 or 90) for acei and if you are going to keep demasoni you will do better with a larger group...even in a smaller tank. In fact I have never had luck with quads...I would do at least 4 females for every male in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Whew.... Demasoni. :eek:
It's great that cichlid looks so awesome. EVERYONE who sees that species can agree just how striking the coloration is. But, well... just do a google search on 'James Cagney + Grapefruit'.
And yep. There's your male Demasoni.
-
So, I guess you can see where I'm going with those taller tanks, now right? The key is to get BIG rocks that reach up all the way to the surface. Mountain Lace was what I used. And, if there is structure? Your Mbuna will swim around on all of it. Now, if they get spooked or you're in there cleaning or something.... they'll dive down on to the bottom and hide under rocks etc.... But,less than 5 minutes after it gets calm in there - they'll be all over those rocks again!
Plus, I see you're really starting to up your cichlid-keeping game. Multiple tanks, etc... And, if the four foot length is the critical space limitation? well, the 90G is a 48"X18". So, why not go ALL IN with a 48"X18", 110G XH? Mine was really nice, and I never regretted the choice. But, then again.... The 110G XH then led to my ultimately getting 2, 48" long 150G XH tanks (The four foot long restriction thing, was limiting for me as well). 8)
And man, if you put a 30 gallon breeder tank sump down under a 150G XH with a single overflow? That turns out be an amazing 48" long Mbuna tank!
And yes, I am a HUGE fan of overflow, sump filtration systems.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Auballagh said:
Whew.... Demasoni. :eek:
It's great that cichlid looks so awesome. EVERYONE who sees that species can agree just how striking the coloration is. But, well... just do a google search on 'James Cagney + Grapefruit'.
And yep. There's your male Demasoni.
-
So, I guess you can see where I'm going with those taller tanks, now right? The key is to get BIG rocks that reach up all the way to the surface. Mountain Lace was what I used. And, if there is structure? Your Mbuna will swim around on all of it. Now, if they get spooked or you're in there cleaning or something.... they'll dive down on to the bottom and hide under rocks etc.... But,less than 5 minutes after it gets calm in there - they'll be all over those rocks again!
Plus, I see you're really starting to up your cichlid-keeping game. Multiple tanks, etc... And, if the four foot length is the critical space limitation? well, the 90G is a 48"X18". So, why not go ALL IN with a 48"X18", 110G XH? Mine was really nice, and I never regretted the choice. But, then again.... The 110G XH then led to my ultimately getting 2, 48" long 150G XH tanks (The four foot long restriction thing, was limiting for me as well). 8)
And man, if you put a 30 gallon breeder tank sump down under a 150G XH with a single overflow? That turns out be an amazing 48" long Mbuna tank!
And yes, I am a HUGE fan of overflow, sump filtration systems.
I wish I could have all that, but I have physical limitations and I'm not handy, so can't do any customizing. I can't have multiple tanks either unfortunately, I don't have room.

If I had you as a friend, you'd just come over and help me with everything but since that won't happen, I have to be reasonable ! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DJRansome said:
You want the 48x18 footprint (whether 75 or 90) for acei and if you are going to keep demasoni you will do better with a larger group...even in a smaller tank. In fact I have never had luck with quads...I would do at least 4 females for every male in the tank.
Yes, that exact footprint for sure, nothing less ! The acei are juveniles but it's obvious they will need more space.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts