·
Registered
1,389 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
+1 - he's also the mod so I'd do what he says :lol:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Lol to me it would mean that you're very knowledgable on the topic of the forum you "mod" for

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
He has helped me immensely! I'm still dealing with the hole in the head but I have seen drastic changes from FishGuy's advice Ty! :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
Being a mod really doesn't have anything to do with it! LOL
hehehe maybe being 'TheFishGuy' does. :p

Now that this has been brought up.... what would you consider to be 'the minimum tank size' for an oscar?

:cool:

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I get mixed feelings on this from a lot of people Alpha 7. The minimum tank size in my opinion and experience for an oscar to live a long "normal" life would be a bare 55. Let me explain. If the tank is bare it's very easy to vacuum up poo or uneaten food when you do you water changes. If the tank is bare it's easy to provide you oscar with "things to do" like ping pong balls or practice balls from your golf bag. Heaters are not necessary once the oscar matures so you don't need to worry about the oscar breaking your heater... Now the major one I often get "Keeping a 14" fish in a 12" wide tank isn't going to work" MY answer to that is consistently the fact that fish are flexible, they can definately turn around just fine, they're not torpedos or submarines. The singe oscar quaetion is easy for me to answer, it's keeping multiples that gets tricky. I've got 95 oscar fry in a 50 breeder. Six of them will be moved to a 125 to eventually pair off. Once I get a pair the others will have to be removed, until then it's going to be a very interesting and fun tank to watch and care for.

To anyone wanting to keep more than one oscar I'd suggest they do the same, if not it will more than likely end in disaster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so there not going to kill each other in my 70 right? cuz they like never separte from each other they just like rub against each other and stuff.
it kinda looks like there flirting

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have two baby red O's in a 75 gallon now, and they do the same thing... They are attached at the fin... HAHAHAH......

Never leave eachother's side, well at least for now....

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first cichlids ever were two Oscars in a 125. When they were juvies they seemed like best friends i was hoping they would pair off and breed, then when they grew up they were both angry males that would stay away from each for a while and then fight so hard they shattered a glass heater (rookie mistake, shoulda been plastic.) broke a hood and ripped the intake's off two filters. They had to be separated.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Mature cichlids, the robust ones like oscars, texas, midas, synspila, JD, GT do not need heaters when older. The only reason a heater is necessary is if you want the fish to spawn. Most people just keep the heaters in as a disease preventative. Most of my tanks are not heated... Especially in summer. Ever been to a fish show? Only a few tanks are heated, those being the discus and the fish with paranoid owners... And remember we're talking fish that sell in the hundreds of dollars range...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts