Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sump Experts!

I am building a sump setup and have a 50” horizontal run from my siphon drain to the sump. The pipe diameter is 1” and will handle about 500gph through that one line. It’s a 48” drop between tank/overflow water level and sump so I’ll have some nice suction on the siphon.

Can anyone answer with experience? Please don’t guess as I’ve already done that. 😁

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is no such thing as too long or too short. There is such a thing as "Can flow that much water" and "cannot flow that much water"

So, there are many questions I have for you, but to answer your first my stand pipes are about 4 feet from the surface of my sump. But, there's a lot more that goes into how that all works.

You'll have to describe your system (or preferably, send pictures). How much water do you want to flow down this drain line? How many drain lines do you have? How is your overflow box designed, and how to you intend to run them? The answer to your question is highly dependent on how that line flows. If it's full siphon, it'll flow a ton of water. If not, it'll be loud, and won't flow so much...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice and follow up questions! A few answers…

I am running dual overflows each with a full siphon, 1” line running about 500gph and another 1” emergency line running a trickle. A Herbie style drain setup. Because there are two overflows the total will be about 1000gph. The tank is a reef ready Aqueon.
So the reason I was asking is to see if there would be air bubbles in the long horizontal run siphon line or if 500gph is enough to blow them out.

I’ll throw up a pic of the drain design that’s dry fitted. I haven’t setup the over the side returns yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Residential plumbing code requires an 1/8-1/4in drop per 10ft, iirc. I would work in a drop of 1/4-3/8in for that run. This will help the system run more quietly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I get the question now. A quick google shows a one inch drain with no pressure will flow 960 GPH. So, looks like one line will be able to flow enough water and the other will act as an emergency. I do not have any horizontal on my drains. All 3 of them drain straight down, so I can't speak to tuning the air out of the system on a horizontal run. I can speak to tuning a bean animal, and if it were me, I'd put a gate valve on the siphon drain.

The gate valve makes tuning and purging air in that line much easier. Start with the gate valve wide open and turn everything on. Then you can slowly restrict the gate valve or open it back up to change the amount of water flowing through until it's purged the air and is quiet. Also, do this slowly. My drain takes a few minutes to purge the air and get silent again after I stop the flow. Your design is super typical of reef setups, which I'm sure you know...

So, I went back up and looked at it again, and something struck me I'd missed the first time. I assumed because of the nature of your question that the line with the long run will be the full siphon. Why don't you make the short one the full siphon or "Main drain." Then it's all easier to tune (Still do the gate valve) and the question of a horizontal run becomes an immaterial distinction....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I’ve already done everything that’s been suggested. You probably can’t see clearly in the pic, but the long runs have the proper slope. And there’s a gate valve on the siphon line and a ball valve on the emergency. I’ve already plumbed sumps like this and it works brilliantly. This is just the longest horizontal run I’ve made before (on both a siphon and an overflow/emergency).

the gluing starts tomorrow! I’ll update when it’s all running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts