Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An guy I know has a Male GT that hasn't been doing well for a while ( I think it's because he doesn't change his water very often.) Any way my question is would he be ok in his own 20 gal tank? He's about six inches long, and doesnt move very much. Thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No, a GT, esp a male, needs a 4 foot tank, preferably a 55 or 75 gallon tank. And at 6", he would be pretty cramped in a 20, either high or long.

look on craigslist for a cheap 4 foot tank :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
No way. I agree, need a 55gal at least. How big of a tank is he currently in? If he is crammed into something smaller than that at 6in, on top of not changing the water, i can see why he is unhealthy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's in a 20 gal now thats why I was askin I didn't think that was anywhere near enough room.He said the guy at the LFS he bought it from said I 20 would be fine If that was the only fish. That's why I'd see what you guys thought before I said he was crazy. I've never had a GT just Oscars, Fancy GF's, and JD's. I guess I'm gonna take him cuz obviously he doesn't really care bout it.
I just went and picked a 55 that a guy gave me if I got it out his basement and took an old chair for him. He said the chair was junk but it will fit perfect in my shop. The tank is real clean for being free he said it had tetras in it. I just filled it and im letting it cycle now. Anything specific JD's like? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im trying to post a photo of the new tank hes in so here it goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and the sump

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and here he is in the back up tank

·
Registered
46 Posts
Way to go. He will be much happier. I'm sure you will see a huge improvement in his health now that he will have a little breathing room. Enjoy your new tank and fish. They really are awsome fish. Im sure you'll love him. Post pics of him in his new tank when your ready.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts