Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know if my 10 gallon tank in my room is going to be big enough to grow out cichlids to about 4-5 cm in length. The cichlids are normally electric yellow and Blues and normal broods consist of about 20-30 ????
:-?
THNKS

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Not in my opinion... if you want to use it as a grow out tank, one option is to limit the number of fry you try to save.
Ruthlessly culling might allow the 10g tank to be used longer.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To grow out to that size, no. I am using a ten to grow out some lab "hongi" and I know I have to do lots of water changing. A ten gets bad water qualities quickly. In an effort to get lots of cover, I have lots of rocks. This weekend I did a water change and found threee dead bodies came out from under the rocks. Since most fish are healthy, I can only assume they were killed by the bigger fish. These fish are only 1/2-3/4 inch (1.27-1.71cm) and one would not think of them as killers but in a confined space they are. I will move them this week into a larger tank. At this time, they grow and breed faster than I can find tanks. I have seven tanks and that is not enough!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use a 10 for fry only. Once they get to 1/2", I move to a larger growout tank (35 hex).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^ Same here. I use the 10g for holding moms and free swimmers for a few weeks. Then I move them to a 20, 29, or 55 for actual growing out. Wish I had some vats for growing out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts