Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about the substrate for eartheaters and similar, a lot of people use pool filter sand, but this can be quite bright. I came across iron silicate-sand blasting grit, and this looks almost black. I did read elsewhere of it being used for substrate, but I've had some great answers to questions I've asked on here, so I would appreciate any info regarding using this with South American cichlids

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
That type of sand should work just fine. More info here,

https://aquanswers.com/black-diamond-bl ... um-safety/

And yes, everyone likes the look of black sand on the bottom of an aquarium. And at first, it IS very nice! The only problem I have with black sandy substrates is that they tend to get 'dusky' or 'washed out' looking over time. This problem seems to be due to algae and diatom buildup in the sand. Give it a few months, maybe a year or so.... and the black sand just always seem to turn into this brown kind of dark muddy color.

But, it's good-to-go for placing in the aquarium, and won't hurt your fish. Just be sure to carefully rinse out all of the dust and finer particles out of it first (time consuming), or your tank will look like a 'mud bomb' was dropped in it or something when you add the sand!! :eek:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts