Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 46g planted/tropical tank with swordtails, platys, cories, plecos, and mystery snails has ich. :( New fish introduced it. I never like to use harsh chemicals in my tanks. Right now I am treating with heat, water changes, and 1 T. of salt per 10g with the intent of increasing it to 1 T. per 5g. I've googled a couple of solutions and have seen people recommending reef safe ich treatment. I've taken all the snails I can find out, but there might be one or two left, plus ramshorns that never go away. Anyone had success with products labeled "natural" or "invertebrate safe"? Right now the breakout is not bad and only limited to a few fish, but I don't want it to get out of control.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
When you're using the heat and salt method you have to make sure you're using enough salt and also that the heat is high enough--otherwise it won't work. And you also have to make sure its the right kind of salt, sodium chloride--(aquarium salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, or table salt with no additives)

Before treating do a 25% partial water change with a good quality dechlorinator and siphon the gravel. Wait a few hours and then do another partial water change.
Salt and heat: Salt 2-3 tablespoons per five gallons and heat 82'
Dissolve the salt first and add it gradually over several hours time. Watch your fish closely for any signs that they are not handling the salt or increased heat well.
You need to keep the treatment going for a minimum of ten days. During those ten days do another 25% partial water change and then re-add the salt that was removed with the water change.

As far as any other natural means of getting rid of ich, sorry, I'm not familiar with any. I've used the heat and salt method with success, tho as have had many others.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.