Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big should my electric yellow fry be before introducing them back into the main 55g tank with 6 adults? Right now they are between 5/8" and 3/4" TL.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
It really depends on how big your adults are. At 3/4" you might lose a few if your adults are 3-4" (which i assume they are atleast).

I added 10 L. Fuelleborni that were about 5/8"-3/4" to a tank with fish around 3" and half of them survived and the other half become dinner.

You should probably wait until they grow another half an inch if you want to make sure all of them survive.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wow . I musta had some unusual experience.

I once added (exactly) 10 yellow lab fry and 23 acei fry to my main tank of full-grown mbuna(Largest was daddy acei 6" long) and a 5" eyebiter. The fry were about 1/2~3/4 inches long, and not a single one got molested! In fact, the fry grew better with the increased tank size and heavier filtration!

Although I may have had some luck with my fish indeed....The same acei as above didn't even touch 2cm long duboisi fry! :eek: Man I shoulda just kept them!! :(

Oh, sorry....I guess IME I second GTZ....just large enough not to fit into the adult's mouth(But my eyebiter....well he was an oddball :lol: )

Good luck!! :thumb:

Ted

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Survivor fry in a tank usually make it once they are 1/4" long IME. But I still would not add them until they were closer to 1.5". Usually I want to ID females so I wait until they hold. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts