Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find it exceptionally hard to introduce new malawis into my tank. There are hiding places with ocean rock and clay pots but the fish seem to get harrassed and die. Any tips for stopping this? The main aggressors are a 15cm livingstoni and 10cm red zebra

·
Registered
120 Posts
What kind of fish are you introducing? And are you introducing them one-by-one, or in groups?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tans size, 5ft by 18 inches by 18 inches.
Tank stock:
1 red zebra
1 blue zebra
1 livingstoni
1 yellow lab
1 johanni
1 frontosa
2 parrot fish
2 plecos
1 bumblebee
1 blue acara

im normally try to add auratus, blue dolphin, brichardi and a few other malawis

·
Registered
554 Posts
The funny thing is, some people claim to have never had any issues with this.

you can try turning off the lights when you introduce them, combined with a complete rearrange of the tank decor.

Dividing off the big evils to a segment of tank, and allowing the newcomers to find their spot and explore a bit first might also work.

I can't say I'm having much luck with this either, though. (tried to add two more females for my evil male to spread agression this afternoon - one is dead already) Buy bigger fish than you already have seems to be the only surefire way (but the potential for backfire - eep!)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Whoa quite the mix there. Your bumble bee and Johanni are fairly aggressive and will not tolerate intruders into their space if they are already settled in. Im sure others will chime in with more specifics on what you should do but if it were me I would try and pick 4 maybe 5 species tops and get them in there with a proper M/F ratio like around 1m/4F that way they will have some of their own to deal will. With the bumble bee though you might need more females than 4 to spread his aggression.

Im thinking it just is too many species in there already so they are fighting over the same territories.

I may be wrong but just what I would do.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Benjamin, that depends, this may be a strange all male setup.

If it is, though, and the OP has peace in his tank as it is, seriously, leave it alone. Peace in a (mostly) Mbuna tank is a wonderful, rare thing. To be enjoyed, not muddled up with more fishies.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
kitkat123 said:
tans size, 5ft by 18 inches by 18 inches.
Tank stock:
1 red zebra Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 blue zebra Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 livingstoni Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 yellow lab Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 johanni Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 frontosa 15", Lake Tanganyika
2 parrot fish CA/SA Hybrid
2 plecos
1 bumblebee Mbuna, Lake Malawi
1 blue acara Acara, South America

im normally try to add auratus, blue dolphin, brichardi and a few other malawis
Well, if I were you, I would start by stocking one geographic region in the tank.
Seeing as you have a lot of mbuna, I'd increase their numbers. They should be stocked, for the most part, as mutiples, specifically, 1 male to each 4-5 females. Re-home or trade the frontosa, parrot and acara.
I would not add a single auratus, blue dolphin (I'm assuming this is the Malawi hap Cyrtocara moorii) or additional malawis at this point until you've decided what sort of tank you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*** never had a problem with aggression in the tank its only when i try to add new fish, they're fairly peaceful with each other

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
kitkat123 said:
I've never had a problem with aggression in the tank its only when i try to add new fish, they're fairly peaceful with each other
Then maybe you have a mix that should not work but does, and newcomers will be doomed. If you like the tank, avoid changes.

I'd think the dolphins (moorii) would not work with this mix so their lack of survival would be expected.

The existing fish are all male? And you are not trying to introduce any females? And you are introducing 6 new fish at any time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All fish are male and i want to introduce the new fish all at the same time and they are also all males aswell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The current cichlids are at the smallest 10cms and the ones being introduced are around 1cm?

One general rule of the fish world is that bigger fish eat smaller fish. I am not an expert, but I find it difficult to introduce smaller juveniles with mature cichlids. If you want to experiment with a strange set up, the first step is the start everyone off as a Juvenile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The current cichlids are 10-15cm and i want to introduce about 5-8cm ones but im not sure why they dont last. I dont see them getting chased in the day, i have plenty of hiding spaces but when i wake up a few are dead. The water quality is also perfect

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
kitkat123 said:
The current cichlids are 10-15cm and i want to introduce about 5-8cm ones but im not sure why they dont last. I dont see them getting chased in the day, i have plenty of hiding spaces but when i wake up a few are dead.
Everyone stated the obvious reasons why it's not working. I would take their suggestions and go from there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.