Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Got home today and noticed a couple fish are pooping white stringy stuff. They get fed nls 1mm pellets 2 times a day. I'm sure its parasites I just need some insight on how to battle these things and the meds that have worked for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Are the feces thin and thread-like or are they a bit thicker?

Treatment options will depend on the above answer. It is also possible that this could be due to a difference in diet or that the fish were fasted before they came to your home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a bit thicker than what we usually see on here. Sometimes it will be thick then thin and stringlike in the same poo if you get what I'm talking about. And fasting will cause that? The fish were pretty skinny when I got them. They don't act stressed out or anything and eat every pellet that goes in the tank. Should I just give it some time and see if it clears up? Oh and they don't poop like that every time in watching them now and it seems normal right now

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
It sounds fairly normal for new fish to experience some changes in feces as I noted in my previous post.

Yes fasting will cause the gut to be empty and it should take a couple days before eaten food is excreted. Feces should be a similar color to the food you are feeding them. Keep an eye to be sure all the fish are eating and give it a few days.

I went back and looked at your videos of your C. moori and they do not look skinny to me. Their bellies do not look concave and they appear healthy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be mistaking me with someone else. I haven't uploaded videos on here....yet lol. I do have some pics in the general African discussion under "stripes on yellow labs" it may show something there but I'm not sure. They are begging too much to get any good pics of them. Their bellies are a little concave but not too bad. I do have 1 that looks more plump than others a small ob zebra. He is definitely pooping clear stringy stuff. Its so small its hard to see at certain angles. But like I said not all the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
OOPs, sorry about that, I don't understand how I made that mistake!

A quick look at your pics don't look bad. Just keep feeding them normally and be sure everyone is eating.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Try mixing Epson and a little aquarium water, then soak some NLS in the solution. Even if it ends up not being parasites, the salt won't cause any issues, if anything it'll just clean out the fish.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darn, I went to town today and completely spaced Epsom salt I'll get some tomorrow and clean them out. Also thinking of soaking some nls in some garlic juice, I've heard it boosts their immune system. Any thoughts on that?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
If they are fine...I would not try medicating or using a preventive. Don't mess with perfection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts