Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to see part of a yellow lab spawn tonight before I had to go to a piano recital...It was interesting. 4th time since January, but in this one of the subdom males got into the action -- maybe even the majority of it. My big dom male was dictating the action, chasing the female around and the subdom male when he saw him, but she was more or less ignrong him -- at least in the few minutes here and there I watched this afternoon. Then every once in awhile, the subdom and the female would be alone in a tight space. At least once they did the dance, she dropping eggs and he fluttering back around, before the big guy would break it up. Pretty cool. Unfortunately, I do not think I will want any of these fry because this subdom -- well lets just say I have named him mustachio because of the prominent black markings on his upper lip when he gets fired up.

Very interesting to watch though. another interesting thing....while the female was hiding at one point, both males were digging and spitting sand out of different sides of the same cave/rockpile. It was like they were racing to get the best pit first....

anyway, thought I would share.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've seen females breed with two males before. The dominant male will get so busy chasing everyone else away that the subdominant male takes advantage of the situation.

Your subdominant male could still produce some nice fry...You could always grow them out and see. He may only sport the mustache because of the stress of being subdominant.

Kim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...that is exactly what seemed to be going on. The subdom would kinda hide nearby, then when the big guy went to chase someone or look for the female, he would move in and entice the female. Also, the little crevice that she seemed to want to conduct the spawn in was a little tight for the bigger lab, so that may have had something to do with it. What was also interesting to me was that the bigger lab would chase the subdom a little bit, but he seemed much more interesting in chasing other fish much more aggressively. He would kinda make a move to the subdom guy and the subdom would move away, but not too far. However, anybody else in the vicinity, especially other smaller labs, he would chase across the tank. I was thinking -- "dude, you are chasing the wrong fish!"

I was not planning to cull any of the fry, but I will use any heroic efforts to save them either. In other words, this batch will be released in the tank. I have a lot of rockwork and a pretty fry high survival rate...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You have to wonder what those dominant males are thinking at times...They've finally got the female where they want them to be - after trying for days and days, but they're too busy chasing every other fish in the tank away to even notice...It's as if they are saying "I can if I want to, but I'm going to make a really big deal out of it first." :lol:

Kim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts