Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
You’re right, the ammonia and nitrite readings aren’t good. Until the tank is fully cycled, do however many water changes it takes to keep the nitrite and ammonia under 1ppm. In between the water changes, use Prime or some other water conditioner to detoxify any remaining ammonia.

The good news is that you’re getting nitrite readings. So, the ammonia oxidizing bacteria has started to colonize the tank. It might take a few more weeks, but you are on your way to having a cycled tank.

·
Registered
929 Posts
olliesshop said:
Thanks for the guidance, especially on the Prime. I assumed you had to add it before you put the water in, and frankly I didn't have a tub big enough for that. I'll also cut down the feeding quite a bit, since I know I was overfeeding them and increase the water changes to up to 50% with the Prime or another water conditioner at the LFS. I'll also wait a few weeks until I do my next filter cleaning to make sure the good bacteria is built up better.

You guys are the best !!! Thanks again. :)
Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Just test the tank water before and after the water changes and you'll get a good feel for how much will be necessary to keep the ammonia and nitrite in check.

·
Registered
929 Posts
zimmy said:
olliesshop said:
A question to others: in this circumstance would it have been a good idea to lower the temperature slightly to reduce ammonia toxicity (I'm thinking of the link http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/AmmoniaTox.html prov356 referenced in another thread)? Would it also be a good idea to add aquarium salt to prevent nitrite poisoning?
Both are plausible ideas. But you can get it under control and keep it under control with just water changes. And for me, the straightest path to the solution is the best one to take.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.