Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Malagasy cichlid with an injured eye.
The fleshy part of the eye itself was injured. I can see a small portion on it that was ripped open.
It is currently in a quarantine tank by itself.
I am treating it with salt, and melafix.
It was suggested that I use maracin +, or tetracycline.

I would like to know from those with similar experiences if melafix alone with salt will help heal and repair the damaged retina.
After 7 hours of isolation and melafix treatment, the cloudiness in the eye has disapeared and I can clearly see the damage.

The fish itself is more relaxed and it moving about a bit more now that it's by itself.
Thanks in advance for your time and help. :)
a2ana

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
For severely damaged eyes I would recommend tetracycline or something similar. Salt and melafix may work, but, if there's a bacterial infection, you'll need the meds.
Another note, keep the tank water as clean as possible. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've had that happen on more than one occasion. Every time less than a week later you couldn't tell anything ever happened. This goes without saying it is possible the eye is damaged beyond repair, but I always get uptight about it and in a few days its back to normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.