Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm new to this forum (but belong to others) and wanted to get some advice from all you experts. I'm new to cichlids, but not the hobby. I have a new 150g tank that is cycling now but am not trying to plot out how to stock it initially. Looking to do the Haps and Peacocks thing, BUT since it's the initial stocking, my thought process is to buy unsexed juveniles and see what happens. Since I'm looking at buying 50 fish or so, I'm looking to go this route to same some money. Over time, I'll be more selective.

Is this the right approach? Should I consider another route? What do you recommend for an initial stocking strategy? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,729 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 150G?

Do not mix unsexed juvenile peacocks as females look alike even when mature and you will not be able to sell them or give away the "extras" due to unknown species.

I will do one species with unsexed juveniles as required, but mostly I stock an all-male hap/peacock tank with adults sexed by only certain vendors that I trust to get this right.

Buying 4 unsexed juveniles at $8 each is more expensive than buying one sexed male at $30.

How many adults are you planning to end up with? I like 18 in a 72" tank if they all mature <= six inches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts