Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the weather gets warmer this will be my first summer that I actually have had my tanks as I just set them up at the end of summer last year so it was getting colder.. It was around 87 today and my inside house temps were around 84 degrees.. I keep my Mbuna tank at 78 and noticed the water was around 81 and my SA tank around 80 and the water is currently at 82.2 what do you guys do during the summer months if you don't put your AC on to keep your water temps under control?

This seems like it could become an issue if it gets much warmer in my house.. :-?

·
Registered
625 Posts
For algae control and temperature I keep my tank in the basement. But I realize you might not have one/it is not feasible to move 145 combined gallons of water!

Keep your lights on for shorter periods, maybe get a fan for your room with fish, don't use a heater during the summer and let your fish enjoy the more natural heating and cooling of the sun (I know lots of Mbuna will spawn after a cooler temperature WC, you could have fry central in your tank!), and I guess at the very end of the line would be to buy a chiller, but who wants to spend that kind of money?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hmmm.....someone from Phoenix should post, LOL! I live up here (elevation 7,000) so, it rarely gets over 85 degrees.

Have you looked into chillers?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys my tanks get no direct sunlight at all.. ill keep an eye on it and see if it gets much warmer. Obviously when its real hot the ac will be on anyways ..

·
Registered
174 Posts
there are a few things you can do-I have had similar problems with a pico saltwater when I was living in Tampa. I kept my AC around 80 but during the summer the house would heat up, and the lighting on the pico heated the tank up rapidly. I obviously wasn't going to invest in a chiller...

I found having air move across the surface of the water and/or the glass on the tank helped cool it down. The drawback being heavily increased evaporation. I would reduce the photoperiod (unless you are running LEDs) and attempt something similar. It is frustrating because running the AC can get very expensive, though to be honest its going to be cheaper than purchasing and then powering any sort of chiller

Worst case, you can do the ice in a ziploc bag trick..but I find that is more for emergencies..and for obvious reasons, not very consistent or reliable

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Your house temps were around 84*? Good Lord. I'm more worried about you overheating than the fish. I would be dying, and trust me, I'm used to the extreme heat.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep 84 but it doesn't feel like 84 I get a nice breeze through the house.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Cromak
I keep our house at 84 (actually the wife does) and my tanks heat up to as high as 86 or 88 with lights and what not... increase your water change routine, oxygenation of your tanks and feed enough to help the fish with the high metabolism and they will be fine.
:thumb:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm facing this issue myself this summer - my living room gets over 84 quite often and i have no A/C. I figure I will try 3 things:

1. heater off altogether
2. HO lights off almost entirely
3. rotating through ice packs when it gets really hot (use several ice packs and hang one inside the tank for a few hours, then pull out, wash and re-freeze while you take another one out of the freezer and hang it inside the tank

Any thoughts on the ice pack idea?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd put it in an area away from normal fish activity obviously. And then the other idea would be to definitely aim a power head at it or put it under your filter output or if your HoB is large enough or the packs small enough, drop them into the gap before or after the filter pad (but this could be harmful to the bacteria in the media) to disperse the cool water.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same worries as you do.. I live in Southern MI and my house gets up in the 80's during the summer.

I think Mbunas will do ok even at temps of 85' you just need to feed more and provide some extra aeration. I have Dual HOB's on both of my tanks plus a bubble wand. I'm hoping they will be ok. My house was 81' yesterday and my 55g shot up to 84, I think my heater is a POS... I turned it down and noticed this morning the tank is 83 and the heater light came on... I have it shut all the way down now.

I do notice at temps of 80 or above the fish start getting feisty and sure color up nicely...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are super aggressive for sure with higher temps I have noticed the same thing.. Also, it's funny because as of this morning I have two mainganos holding, 3 red zebras holding and 1 rusty holding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I live in so cal and my house gets to 78-80 degrees and I just removed my heater for good, I actualy got through the winter without a heater, but I also get worried about my tank as it creeps to 82-84 degrees, 2 powerheads running for more aeration makes me feel a bit better!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts