Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was hoping for some advice on increasing my stock numbers I currently have
5 Pseudotropheus Acei
5 Pseudotropheus Flavus
4 Electric Yellows
8 Pseudotropheus Demasoni
They are all in a 90 gallon tank they have all been together for over a year and all are breeding but the labs still not sure of there sex, my question to the forum is I want to increase my lab and demasoni numbers how many more can I add and could I be asking for trouble adding more demasoni now after mine are established and happy in my tank any help or opinions are much appreciated thankyou.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Josh83 said:
Hey everyone, I was hoping for some advice on increasing my stock numbers I currently have
5 Pseudotropheus Acei
5 Pseudotropheus Flavus
4 Electric Yellows
8 Pseudotropheus Demasoni
They are all in a 90 gallon tank they have all been together for over a year and all are breeding but the labs still not sure of there sex, my question to the forum is I want to increase my lab and demasoni numbers how many more can I add and could I be asking for trouble adding more demasoni now after mine are established and happy in my tank any help or opinions are much appreciated thankyou.
You can add some Dems. Since they're a dwarf species, you can have more than you usually can of other Mbuna. Plus, higher numbers reduces their aggression towards each other. I would almost double your numbers there (you'll have to remove excess males, which look remarkably like females :roll: ). I'd get like 20 (total, not in addition to your 8), and weed out to get 14-16 dems.

The 90g is 4ft long? How wide/tall?
Generally, a 4ft 55g tank gets 3 species. A 75g could do 4 as long as they aren't overly aggressive. A 90 could go either way. Now, if your 90 is longer, you've got more wiggle room (I can't remember the standard dimensions but I thought it was 4ft--please correct me).

That's assuming you have 4 species of 1m 4-5f each. You have 4 labs, so you could add 2 females, reasonably.

That said, the Flavus might mess things up as they're more aggressive. You know better than anyone if you're fish are the more aggressive or more mild variation within the species. [/i]But I think that would OK.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I agree, I would double the demasoni and add 2 labs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the tank is 48" long, I've just been cautious I've heard horror stories on here with adding demasoni or taking dome away I've been pretty lucky do far no deaths or any real serious aggression I have a tonne of rockwork and hiding places for all the fish It's only a few of the dems and the male flavus that have claimed any territories.

·
Registered
478 Posts
How tall/wide is your tank? I would do 3-4 species max in a 4' by 16" tank...but 3 max in a 4' by 1'....height is not a factor....agree that you whould up the dems to over a dozen and weed out a few males and add a few female labs.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Eoconnor--the OP said a 90g. I don't know of any 90 that's only a ft wide :lol: I know of some longer than 48" and thus skinnier, but usually a 55g, 75g, 90g, and some 100g are all 4ft long. What changes is of course the height and mostly width.

SO, 55= 48 x 12
75= 48 x 18
90= 48 x 18 (and taller, I just can't remember by how much)

At least, that was my understanding when I started to price/plan my upgrade. I thought it was SO stupid that you can almost double the amount of gallons (55 -> 90), but have the same length :?

Personally, I'd chance 4 species in a 75 (if they were all peaceful and smaller Mbuna). In a 90, I'd feel pretty comfortable with 4 (again, as long as they aren't like the dolphin (giant dem) :lol: ). I know Flavus can be a pain, but I don't have experience with their aggression personally. I'd just be careful of them, and I wouldn't add any :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have 4 species in my 90 now and it is all very peaceful I guess I'm just asking how many fish can I add to the mix and I guess I can double the dems and try for s few more yellow lab girls,without starting a new thread what would be the best way.to add the other 8 dems all at once ,over a period of time just hoping it doesn't turn into kill city.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I'd all all the fish at once...8-10 demasoni and 2 labs. I've never had a problem adding fish to the existing colony...especially if the new guys are juveniles.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you decide to add 12 (I,ll assume adult),with your existing 22,keep an eye on your water parameters,at the least,you,ll be looking at more partial water changes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.