Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
ooh! i love genetics discussion. inbreeding is the fastest way to lock 'type', or the characteristics of your line.

i am a dog breeder, and for most of us, inbreeding is sib to sib, parent to offspring, half-sib to half-sib. beyond this, it would be considered a linebreeding (common ancestors somewhere before the 5th generation). Some breedings considered outcrosses may really be distant (beyond g5) linebreeding. This distant linebreeding is a good way to gain so-called 'hybrid vigor', and yet keep many of the characteristics your inbred line contains. With a true outcross, nothing will be predictable, and the offspring will likely show a wide range of the parents' characteristics ( no uniformity).

still a newbie to cichlid breeding ( have my first clutch of yellow lab fry), but i will keep the best and cull the rest. the best will eventually go back with the original adults, and i'll see what happens. happily, fish generations are a lot shorter than dog generations, but i must say it's easier to choose my female dog's breeding partner than hope the right fish pair up. :p

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.