Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two canister filters running in parallel to each other on my 60g tank. One is the hydor prime 30 and the other is the hydor prime 10.

Has anyone ever tried to run two canister filters in- line? Bearing in mind that these two are of different flow rates.

What I was thinking is to setup the smaller one feeding into the larger one.
Then setup the smaller one to do my mechanical filtration and the larger one to do my biological filtration.
Therefore I will only have to clean my smaller filter and i can leave my bio-media undisturbed for much longer periods of time.

Of course there is the problem of the different flow rates.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The smaller one before the larger will seriously reduce the flow of the large one as it will become a restriction.
It is not a good idea for a number of reasons, but the main one is that you end up with less than the total rather than more (even with two identical filters). As well, you may set up one for mechanical, but the bacteria don't care and will make it part of your bio filter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
that wont work, doesnt matter what alignment you put them in, the max output/flitering rate will be reduced to whatever the smaller pump is. Also, you run the real risk of not supplying the second pump with adequate flow. If you can only supply a pump with say 100gpm, and it is pumping at 150gpm, then the pump is going to run dry. this can cause serious issues with the pump performance and it will fail quickly.

if you put the larger pump first pumping into the smaller pump, you will also have issues. the smaller pump will create a lot of back pressure on the larger pump which will lead to premature failure.

you are better off keeping them parrallel.

for background, i am an engineer and deal with pumps daily.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Just run them separately and put a sponge filter of some sort on the intake of the one that you want to be primarily for biofiltration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tbh, these are the kind of answers i was expecting but you just never know what might pop up.

So that i dont start another topic:
I have a nearly fully cycled tank but im still a long way from receiving the fish for this tank. How much ammonia should i keep adding to keep the bacteria colony alive and ready?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Dose it every 2-3 days, and that'd be enough. Whatever amount you've been adding is probably fine. I cycle to 1-2ppm with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts