Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was here a couple months back after losing roughly $500 in 2 bad batches demasoni ordered from lfs. I decided to let my 6 yellow labs & 6 acei grow out a little bit in the 70 gallon, and after a couple of months of them hiding in the rock work all day I started stocking PetSmart demasoni once again as they got them in. Over the last 2 weeks I've built up to about 14 demasoni - so far so good.

So good, in fact, that I decided to sabotage my efforts! Namely, I decided to buy 3 "electric blue johanni" that I could not resist. They are so beautiful! They are probably maingano anyway! No vertical bars they will be fine with the demasoni! It's over stocked but I can set up a new tank! All the usual impulse buy excuses.

So I get these home and lo and behold, I've picked up a freebie. Another probably-maingano... wait a second, it's brown. A definitively female... johanni.

So here I am, 6 yellow labs, 6 acei, 14 juvie demasoni, and 3m1f electric blue johanni in a 70g. I'm currently running 2 fx6 (it's excessive but I'm cycling one for a discus tank) and a penguin 350 hob, multiple 20 gallon water changes a week, so water quality should be fine for now.

I guess I'm just looking for some creative ideas on where to go from here. I'm assuming that the odd balls in the tank are going to be the first problem. I could plan on setting up a couple smaller tanks. I guess I could hope for the best and just start watching out for mean streaks. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it a rectangle?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
48x18 then. I would lose one species and up the demasoni to 15 after removing extra males. And lose the brown female.

If you end up keeping the maingano I would do 1m:7f because they can be aggressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts