Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 15 mbuna in a 55g tank, they are between 1.5" and 2.5", how can i improve the chances of them breeding? I do weekly 50% water changes and there is plenty of ocean rock within the tank. any ideas??
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe they need to mature a little more, especially the males. Have they been in the tank more than six months?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no they have only been in the tank for about 4 months, I know i havent got a "usual" stock, i have 3xdemasoni, 3xred zebras, 3xred top hongi,3x labidochromis caruelius, and 3xeb johanni (or the other variany, i forget what they are called) and a bristlenose catfish. They all get on fine and i havent lost a fish since i put them in, and very little problems with aggression (perhaps this will get worse as they get older) but so far everything is fine.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
More females. Your demasoni will eventually become just 1 as the dominant male kills the other 2 fish.

I'd drop one of the labidochromis species, too, to make room for the additional females. You want 1m:4f for each species (except demasoni, where you'll need at least 12).

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
See when they start breeding, that is when you will have trouble if you are going to. When one female is holding, that leaves only one to harass. What if both are holding?

I might be concerned about saving fry from that tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i might take some out and add more females. This my first malawi tank and so am still learning. Although i have had no problems at all up till now, i am aware that when they get bigger i might have deaths. :(
Which species are likely to crossbreed? red zebras and lab caruelius?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Really all mbuna will crossbreed when there are not enough females of their own species. The concern is the scenario I mentioned...with only two females if one is holding and the other is not ready to produce eggs, the male is likely to look elsewhere.

Labs and zebras will crossbreed even WHEN there are sufficient females of each. Those estherae males seem to have no problem ignoring the lab male and claiming both sets of females for himself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts