Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, please bear with me as I pour my sob story out and ask for your help and patience!

Over the past 4 months I have been learning more and more about keeping African Cichlids after a horrible experience with my local pet shop (yes I should have done more research, but I would expect the head fish keeper in my local shop with "20yrs experience" to give me the right advice and not sell me anything knowing there would be issues).

I walked into my local shop with the intent of starting my own community tank but had little to no prior knowledge on keeping (I am an experienced diver but have never kept fish). I spoke with the head fish keeper at the store and told him I was interested but didn't know where to start. He then proceeded to sell me two electric yellows, a blue peacock and a bristle nose on the spot in a 50L TANK (13 gallon)! He sold me a quick start up chemical kit, GRAVEL and food, but NO test kits of any kind. The tank came with a filter, thermometer and light. After losing my peacock quite quickly (within 48hrs of setting up the tank), I did a ton of reading and was absolutely horrified! I quickly drove down to my other local store and asked them if I could temporarily store my remaining fish with them until I got the tank up to the correct parameters. My other store have looked after me ever since, and I now have very happy fish that are due for a tank upgrade!

Now that I'm confident I understand their needs, I'd love to expand my community and create a setup that they'll love. I'm looking at something between 4-5ft in length and a capacity of between 300-500L. I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with:

Filters for this size tank - what canister brands do you recommend (I'm in Australia)
Thermometers - digital vs. glass
Different substrates - sand vs. aragonite or larger coral gravel (I am currently adding cichlid trace and I currently have a gravel siphon but need to know if this will do or not)
Plants that do well in the alkaline pH
Cleaning a tank that size - how do you do your water changes (I'm currently getting away with siphoning mine out my bedroom window as we live rurally but I've never had experience with larger tanks)

Please be patience with me. I'm not planning on rushing into anything and I'd appreciate some good solid advice. Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
[
riana_jasmine said:
Filters for this size tank - what canister brands do you recommend (I'm in Australia)
IDK what is available in Australia, but I like Rena Filstar canisters.
riana_jasmine said:
Thermometers - digital vs. glass
Glass
riana_jasmine said:
Different substrates - sand vs. aragonite or larger coral gravel (I am currently adding cichlid trace and I currently have a gravel siphon but need to know if this will do or not)
Pool filter sand...no additives other than dechlorinator
riana_jasmine said:
Plants that do well in the alkaline pH
may not do well with the Malawi, but Java Fern, anubias, valisneria are a few
riana_jasmine said:
Cleaning a tank that size - how do you do your water changes (I'm currently getting away with siphoning mine out my bedroom window as we live rurally but I've never had experience with larger tanks)
Python no spill clean and fill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.