Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these really that accurate? I'd like to know why there aren't very many species on the list. Most of the Mbunas I think are color morphs found in different locations of Lake Malawi or something like that. Is it possible to improve them?

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Sorry you haven't got a response. My understanding of the Species Profiles is they were created by original members and most of the info was probably taken from books or people that were involved in fish catching/surveillance in Lake Malawi.

As far as accuracy, the temperature, pH and some other parameters were probably taken at the lake's surface and not where the fish actually spend most of their time but they may be good enough for our purposes.

As far as the species name, they usually stay the same though the genus name may change due to reclassifying by scientists.

The forum no longer has anyone authorized to change or update the Species Profiles so we can't do anything about that. If you are looking for more current or specific info, check out cichlidae.com.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts