Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used to have this fish in my 55g

- 5 metriaclima esthereae still have them all 1 male and 4 females, i have babies from them growing pretty good they are 6 months old.
- 3 pseudtropheus crabro 1 male his the alpha male in the tank really agressive, 2 fems 1 is gone
- 3 yellow labs, 2 death havent found their corpses
- 3 mainganos they were 2 1/2 inches they are gone to0

2 plecostomus 1 regular and 1 clown gone too

Whats wrong in my tank, whos killing everyone i dont know please help and even with this i have lots of rocks for them and dont know whats wrongs.

Im really poor now with filtration but im making a sump, i have an aquaclear 50 now thats all, going to get a lamp dont have one now.

Please help or i was thinking leaving this hobbie and getting a discus aquarium with some tetras and lots of plants please help. What can i do. :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hard to say but my first guess would be the Crabro's. I had them and it was like one day they decieded to go nuts and start pecking off other tankmates.

·
Registered
117 Posts
is swapping to one of the most sensitive and delicate species of fish really a good idea if you are struggling to keep Mbuna which are renowned for there hardiness and longevity?

i think you need to test your water before we can offer any other form of advice,

·
Registered
625 Posts
Will1983, +1. I'd love to have discus but I want a larger tank and a few more years experience before I head that way. Considering stepping up to tropheus from mbuna in about a year to get my feet wet with more delicate fish.

If it's a fish killing them, my vote would be for your tank boss.

But at one point with 19 fish in a 55 with only an aq50, a better guess would be a lack of a suitable bacteria colony. Either your nitrates are way too high or there is not enough bacteria to convert all your waste and you have ammonia and/or nitrite building up in your water.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Careful watching will help most. If fish are just gone and you don't find them, there might be two things to check. Either you are not looking at the fish often enough and seeing that they are all there so that you would see dead bodies or they have a spot where they can jump out and behind something where you don't find them. Fish of equal size do not eat each other quickly. They may kill them and the body float under something out of sight but that is something to look for when they don't eat one time. If you stand back where they do not see you, you will be able to tell who is working on killing the others if that is happening. Cichlids do not get sick from bad water and disappear. If the water is bad, the fish will act sick for days before dying.

Watch your fish more carefully and make sure they are all acting as they should. You will see if one is chasing and killing the others. It is a slow steady buildup. They don't have guns!

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 on posting water parameters.

But I also think that crabro is causing problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts