Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. So this is what I have...
1 5gal.
Fish: 1 Adult Male Guppy, 3 Adult Female Guppies, 14 Baby Guppies, and 1 sucker fish.

1 10gal.
Fish: 2 Aris Tetras, 1 Red Finned Bala Shark, 1 loach, 2 Plecos, and 1 Oscar.

I also have another tank that needs cleaning and re-siliconing that I THINK is a 30gal.

Here's where I have a few questions...

I have made some homemade ornaments... I used hot glue, fish gravel, and some material/plastic flowers/leaves...Before I put them in any tanks... Is this safe??

Also wondering what other fish I could get that would be good to keep with the fish I have...

ANDDDDD.... I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas to make all my tanks better?

I Love having fish but I need some ideas to get things a bit more organized and nicer... and CHEAPER lol Anything that it DIY and cheap... I'm good with :)

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
You'll hear from others but I'd stay away from Hot Glue. I've done the same with "safe" silicone.. read the sticky at the top of this section of the forum for what is "safe"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the sticky thing but I've called or gone to all the pet stores around here and none of them carry anything of the sort. They keep telling me just to get some 100% silicone without added preservatives to keep mold and mildew off. I have a tank that I need to re-silicone but I don't want to use it unless I know for sure. Any help is definitely appreciated!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
GE silicone "1" is sold lots of places. Just do some reading on the tube to make sure which GE silicone you are gettting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I understand this is a discussion about materials and decorations but the elephant in the corner not mentioned is that you have an oscar in a 10 gallon tank. That is a really small tank for an oscar, and even a 30 gallon tank is not a great long term choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A kuilli could stay small enough. Any of the other loaches, not recommended in a 10g.

However, the Bala shark, the Oscar and most likely the plecos will all get too big. Balas need room to swim and so you would want a long tank, 36 inches absolute minimum but not recommended.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i would also suggest either getting a 75 gallon tank atleast if you plan on keeping the fish, or find more suitable fish for you tank. The oscar will get bigger than your 10 gallon tank. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts