Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked these up about 2 months ago and I was curious what you think of the fish and what they actually are :) I have not kept discus in a long time and I'm really enjoying a planted community setup once again. I think the small one is a Blue snakeskin and the other is a Silver pigeon???? from what I've found so far.

They are roughly 4" and 6". The pigeon based one did not show the peppering in the LFS but now he is on dark substrate. From some reading I see that is probably the reason.

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Not that you asked, but I think the Blue is a female and the peppered one is a male. Good luck with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Peppering is not a good thing. While not a discus expert, i have been keeping a community for awhile and I talk to my discus breeder(a professional breeder who weirdly lives across the lake from me) and according to him it means it is somehow stressed although it might be the new substrate that has done it. If the other one is fine then I wouldnt worry about it. The pepper should clear up in time. You also have a weird number, unless they are actively breeding odd numbers are what you should shoot for since they are social fish and like the company.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Since you asked, I dont like the pidgeon bloods much because of the black speckling makes them look dirty & unattractive. Theres some really great, clean looking pidgeons out there but ones with the black speckling I dislike. I used to keep a breeding trio. The male was a blue diamond & the 2 sisters were red turq's.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Bluetangclan said:
Peppering is not a good thing. While not a discus expert, i have been keeping a community for awhile and I talk to my discus breeder(a professional breeder who weirdly lives across the lake from me) and according to him it means it is somehow stressed although it might be the new substrate that has done it. If the other one is fine then I wouldnt worry about it. The pepper should clear up in time. You also have a weird number, unless they are actively breeding odd numbers are what you should shoot for since they are social fish and like the company.
I have always been under the impression that peppering was a genetic "fault" and had nothing to do with mood patterns, such as vertical baring.

·
Registered
796 Posts
DeadFishFloating said:
Bluetangclan said:
I have always been under the impression that peppering was a genetic "fault" and had nothing to do with mood patterns, such as vertical baring.
I heard that as well when the pigeons were first developed. Essentially they were the ones that would/should have been culled out before being sold.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Although peppering may show up better if the fish is showing stress colors or showing against certain backgrounds or gravel types, it is definitely a genetic fault and generally not an indicator of the mood or health of the fish. Some blood lines will show more than others. One of many reasons I would never own a domestic discus, wild all the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats interesting. I know I have seen the same white and red fish at my breeder's facility in both stressed and unstressed over a period of time and the peppering was the telltale sign. All of his tanks are barebottom(I was actually afraid mine would hide in my plants when I got them, but conversely they actually seemed afraid of the plants and stayed in the front in the open. No stress except for me and I dont pepper.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts