Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im a newbie had cichlids as a kid now im starting back up. i first was thinking of doing a lake malawi hap/ peacock all male tank. now im thinking of doing a 125gallon Tropheus & Petrochromis tank. do you guys im too new to be messing with theme am i gettin way over my head? the tank is 125gallon 6 feet long 18inc wide is this a big enuf tank to do a all male Tropheus & Petrochromis can this be done? im just exploring my opt and seein what the best fit would be too do. do i have too mess with plants in this kinda tank dont really wanna if i dont have too, i dont mind doing rock work and caves. any info u can give me would be great thanks hope too hear from u all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You deifinetly do not want to do an all male tank. Trophs and petros are not like malawi haps/mbuna. I've no experience with petros, but with trophs you want to keep them in large groups. Male and female trophs look almost identical, although the most dominant specimens will show the best color. In a 6' 125g I would suggest starting with 2 dozen trophs, and you probably want to shoot for a male to female ratio of 1:6 IMO. I'm definitely not an expert as I've been keeping trophs for only about a year and a half. One thing I can tell you for sure is if you are serious about trying to keep trophs and or petros DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts